My First Pair Of Headphones

A Review On: Beats Studio by Dr. Dre - Hi-Def Noise-Canceling Over-Ear Headphones

Beats Studio by Dr. Dre - Hi-Def Noise-Canceling Over-Ear Headphones

Rated # 564 in Headphones
lin0003
Posted · Updated · 4450 Views · 2 Comments

Pros: Style

Cons: Price, Price/Performance Ratio, Battery

Right up, I'm gonna say that Beats gets a lot of hate on Head-Fi and I certainly understand why. They are very much bass heavy and the bass quality is pretty crap, but I do think that having Beats around is actually really good. They were my first pair of headphones and they were the headphones that left me wanting more and the headphones that got me into higher end stuff. Below is My full review:
Design, Accessories and Packaging
Beats are not designed for audiophiles, but rather for people who care more about style than SQ. I actually think that they look pretty good and they are one of the most comfortable pairs of headphones that I have tried. The red "b" symbol has almost become a fashion symbol rather than a headphone brand. People wear them around their necks more than they actually listen to them. Beats has certainly put more effort into marketing then into the actual headphones. The packaging is very flashy and it comes with a nice semi-hard case, an 1/4 inch adapter, 2 cables and a cleaning cloth. From the outside, it actually looks like a nice headphone, but when you listen to it, you will realise how bad it really is. Oh, and build quality is also very bad and the headphones are constructed fully of cheap glossy plastic.
I must say that these sound pretty crap and very bad for their money.
Bass
The bass is very much exaggerated in a terrible way. Say if you have an IE8, the bass is 5 times as big as it and not in a good way either. It is certainly very boomy and bleeds not only into the midrange, but into the pretty much non-existent treble as well. The quality is nothing special, maybe a bit better than a pair of stock Apple earbuds. Overall, this may appeal to those people who like hugely overexaggerated bass which to me, sounds like crap.
Midrange
The mids are quite recessed and if you view a frequency graph of the Beats Studios, you will see that it is rather V shaped. They certainly do sound distant, sort of like the ATH-M50, but more recessed. The bass bleeds into the mids, drowning out much of the mids. Vocals sound like a muddy mess. A good thing that you could say is that there's no sibilance whatsoever, but it is so veiled that it's not really saying much.
Treble
The treble is absolutely terrible on the studios. Apparently, the frequency graph is V shaped, but II just cant hear how the highs are emphasized. Yes, I do think that the mids are oddly recessed, but the treble is almost non existent. If you can imagine your neutral headphones have their bass turned up 15 DB and the treble turned down 10, then you have the Beats studios.
Conclusion
I honestly have no idea why someone would buy this headphone except for the looks. The bass overpowers the entire spectrum and it is lacking detail and resolution. It's worth something like $80.

I lol'd so hard to review 1 :D
Haha yeah. My friends always go on about how beats are the best, but i know that my ie8s outdo any of the beats by a mile.