Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Beats Pro (High Performance Professional Headphones From Monster® - Pro-tuned Over-Ear - Black)

Rated #316 in Headphones

Pros: Durability, appearance

Cons: Price

Well first off, these headphones are bashed on way to much just for being 'Beats'. The studio's straight up suck and the solo's are beyond bad. These suckers take on quite a beating because of the 'sins of their forefathers'. Personally, the price wasn't as big of a deal with me since I got these for 300 new, but price is the main downfall of these guys. They are far from worth 400 dollars for their sound quality. You could find the same if not better sound quality in 250$ headphones.

However, these headphones make up for this quality in their build. I found this strange coming from Monster. I have dropped these puppies from 6ft+ several times, slammed the chord in between a car door several times, etc. Not even a scratch (which is strange since aluminum tends to scratch pretty easily from my experience). They also have a removable cable (quite common in higher end headphones) that can plug into either side. This is the most amazing headphone cable out there. It is long and built to last and doesn't tangle at all. The swivel cups are also pretty fun and cool but really don't add all that much overall.

Sound quality wise these are lacking for their price. They would be worth it at 250, maybe 300, however they lack the outstanding highs. They have great bass (it could be a little more punchy) and pretty good mids, but the highs aren't close to anything special. These headphones also don't differentiate instruments as much as IEMs but they do give songs a solid feel. Despite not having the best sound quality, these headphones really bring rap, hip-hop, electronic, dubstep, and even hard rock to life. (if you like classical or softer more detail oriented music I would go with sennheiser or Westone).

Overall these are good headphones, don't listen to the hype saying 'beats are terrible', they really aren't all that bad.

Pros: Boomy Bass, Looks?

Cons: Pretty much everything else

Beats' top of the line headphone. Nothing as I was expecting it to be though. The bass still distorts the sound and there is minimal clarity, not to mention these things are so uncomfortable. thumbs up for the design though.

Pros: Powerful Bass, clear Midrange, somewhat mellow highs. You can get these for lower than half of the retail price online.

Cons: Colored sound isn't for audiophiles.

Overview:

The Beats Pro is the Beats' top-of-the-line model, with a lofty price tag of $400. However, its price, along with Beats' reputation with being a hated-on brand, hides the fact that it actually sounds great. That hate reaches out far across the Internet, where trolls and hate fill every Beats-related thread. I'm almost certain that at least three-quarters of Beats trolls haven't listened to them once in their life (even if they say that they did). Even at Head-Fi, the Beats are a hated brand, but not as much as anywhere else. I've found a handful of other people across the Internet that actually appreciate the Beats, but since the trolling is so prevalent, finding them is harder than hard.

My general setup.

Many people, including me, acknowledge that the Beats line is really overpriced. But do they really sound that bad? In the Studio's and Solo's cases, yes. But what about the Pros? Let's find out.

In the Box:

The box, aside from being large, is unremarkable. Its contents include:

• The headphones, of course
  • A traveling pouch
  • A thick, 6-foot-long cable with a telephone-like coil at the end which extends its length to about 7 ft.
  • A cleaning cloth with so-called "Microbe Shield Technology"
  • Literature

Design:

The Beats line has been notorious for being mostly a fashion accessory than anything else. Many of their endorsers are pure crap (Lady Gaga, Lil' Wayne, and...I just won't say it). Even then, their style and design can be easily called the best. The size, along with its two-tone gray/black color scheme, accented by the Beats 'b', easily makes this a head-turning, eye-catching pair. The pair also has swivel-up earcups that can be handy for DJs, as well as two jacks. You can't have multiple inputs with these, but the jack that isn't used as input becomes an output jack, so you could form a daisy chain.

These headphones have pretty plush pleather cushions, though they will get warm (or possibly sweaty) in the summer while you wear them. The pair is also made almost entirely out of aluminum - solid aluminum, actually, which makes them a great heavy-duty pair. There's a catch to its almighty strength, however - since the frame, earcups, hinges, and headband are all made of solid aluminum inside-out, the pair is remarkably heavy (about 14 ounces). If you plan to buy this for long listening sessions, prepare your neck.

Audio Quality:

Now, for the main event. Before I begin, please note that I don't have any other pair for comparison. Call me a poor guy, I don't mind; I really don't have any other pair, so if you think that a comparison is missing, blame this on my poor self. However, I do have a wide variety of audio sources, four of which I'll use and list below:

• Audio: MP3 @ 320 kbps (Electronic, Hip-Hop, Rap, Dubstep, Acoustic Rock, Pop, Acoustic Jazz, Solo Piano)
  •           Game Soundtrack
  •           Digital Piano - Aux-Out and 1/4" headphone jack
  • Source: iPod Touch 4G, with stock music app set at "Flat" EQ
  •             PSP-3000, games only
  •             Stock laptop audio card
  •             Yamaha P-105
  • Amp: N/A

I'll be listening in to the genres that I listen to (listed above), starting with Electronica. In Daft Punk's "Get Lucky," the bass is remarkably powerful, as with all of the Beats models preceding it, but it doesn't muddy up the performance. It stays on its own, without muddying up everything else. The mids are clear and sound great with the bass. Vocals resonate well and have a good echo. The high range is quite detailed for a pair of Beats, but rolls off at higher levels. For a pair of Beats, this has a stellar sound signature; but for a pair of headphones in general, not so much.

Rap and Hip-Hop songs have a powerful kick drum, and that is well augmented with the Beats. Dubstep, whose bass lines get muddied up in crappy headphones like the Solos, are well-reproduced through the Pros. In the electronic side of the music spectrum, the Beats Pros shine in nearly every genre on this side.

However, this shine easily fades on the other side of the spectrum, where acoustic instruments reside. Acoustic songs require a large soundstage, but the Beats Pro's closed-back design makes it unsuitable for this. Also, it doesn't have that much detail when compared to other headphones in its price range. However, I really like the headphones' performance in the Solo Piano, Acoustic Rock, and Acoustic Jazz areas. The pair has enough detail to reveal much of the nuances of the piano, which also shows in the Acoustic Rock and Jazz areas, where the vocal range is refined and sounds great, and the background instruments can be heard with little effort. However, as far as soundstage is concerned, its soundstage is rather small and resembles a studio, which fits in with the genres I listen to, but for orchestral pieces, I would suggest steering clear of these.

Even in games, the Beats asserts its powerful bass. Audio effects are accurately reproduced, albeit with more emphasis on the low end. Voices are clear and sound as if you're right there. The orchestral sound found in games like Dissidia 012 sound quite wide, considering my previous trifle with its small soundstage. The piano's sound also doesn't disappoint, with commanding bass and accurate highs that accentuate the already stunning detail that I've experienced while listening through this pair.

Conclusion:

The Beats Pro was the first step in my quest for great audio. They're a sturdy, heavy pair of cans that have been weathered with constant hate over the reputation and price of this pair. However, this pair shines - and shines well - in its ability to reproduce great (though colored) sound in the electronic side of the spectrum; also, it doesn't disappoint in select areas of the acoustic side, either.

There are some things to consider debating before buying it, however:

• Its lack of a wide soundstage makes it unsuitable for orchestral pieces; for this I would recommend the Yamaha PRO 500.
  • Weighing in at nearly a pound, its weight can break necks, until you get used to it. It may have heavy clamping force at first, but hanging it on a sofa can help to loosen it up while burning in. To address the weight issue, I would recommend the Beats Mixrs, whose soundstage and signature is almost identical to the Pros, albeit in a smaller, lighter package.
  • Its price is phenomenal and sky-high. However, if you know where to look, you can find the Beats Pros for half price (or even lower) online. As an example, I got my pair online for about $125.

For me and my love of electronic-based music, plus an unbeatable discount price, the Beats Pro was a steal. For those who share my love for electronica, don't be fooled by its high price; you can always turn to the Internet for great prices - and you may just get yourself a deal.

Pros: MOAR BASSSS

Cons: Terrible value and sound

My first foray into "high end" audio. Without these I never would have got on the right track. How are they? Not bad, just with skull crushing bass. (I never bought Skullcrushers) And terrible value. You can't forget that.

Pros: Clear Bass, Stylish, "Branded", Build Quality

Cons: Uncomfortable After Long Periods, Overpriced, Rigid Build

Okay, I get it, Head-Fi.org userbase just hate these headphones, and as a user, I'd like to offer my point of view to the majority and just show Monster some love.

First Off, Build:

They are simply Tanks, I have dropped them, threw them, and slammed them a couple times, and man they hold well. The Aluminum Body really gives it the Build Quality. A little Con here is the Extenders and the Rigid Build. The Extenders aren't equal on both sides and tend to slip compared to the Studios and Solos. I mean, they do stick when you pull it at a certain angle, but usually they just slip around. Second Con is that they tend to make this Cracking sound every once in a while (maybe it's just the way I handle it) but they just sound like they're about to break. I'd say they could've made the earcuffs that little better. When you put around your neck, the ear cuffs are too large, and they don't fit your ear well making it uncomfortable over time. The padding is quite nice though. People sometimes complain about the weight and the clampi-ness of the Pro's, but I'm not going to, since I love the weight and clamp on it. (Subjective)

A little thing on the cable. My cables actually broke soon after I bought it, but I think it could be my iPod since it broke altogether.

Style:

So, the style. I'm not really sure on how to grade this. I'm not wearing them outside often these days because they are just too heavy and bulky to bring around as a street-wear headphone. I mean, if you're going to bring it to a club as a DJ, then to the next club, then to the next, that's acceptable, but to walk down the street with this on your head? Nay, they don't look bad, just too bulky.

Audio Quality:

Not Bad, just not worth it here. You can get the same quality with a quarter priced head-phone. The bass (me being an EXTREMELY bassy person, I love the sound) is simply clear and impressive, just over powers if you listen to metals/rock/ or anything bass heavy music. The mid-tones are pretty clean and clear, you can hear everything as long as the bass doesn't overpower. Lastly, the high's. The high's aren't all that audible. You can hear them, but aren't as clear as the mids and lows. They are clean though.

Value:

The are worth the value IF:

You don't handle stuff with too much care

Love Style and Branded Stuff

A DJ who needs something stylish but not poor in audio quality.

They aren't worth it though IF:

You are the BEST OWNER in the whole wide world and your devices has never dropped ever.

Don't really mind the style and dislike/don't need branded stuff.

An audiophile or just someone who REQUIRES the $400 Audio Quality.

Personal Conclusion:

I would say if you own one, sell it to a friend for 200 ~ 300 Dollars, then just get a cheaper headphone with similar/better audio quality. They really aren't worth it unless you technically attempt to destroy things. If you aren't careful, just get something of Build Quality and it's pretty much enough. THOUGH I would get it if you manage to obtain them for a much lower price,$100 ~ $200 would be a pretty good price.

Pros: Massive, earth-shattering bass - but still controlled. High-quality, solid construction. Attractive.

Cons: Midrange lacks warmth and is a little recessed. Highs lack sparkle. They're heavy and uncomfortable. The price is way too high.

Well... these aren't exactly bad. They're just... well, boring.

The bass is actually good if you take these for what they are (a bass heavy DJ-can). The bass pressure is MASSIVE. I have not heard (or felt) this kind of monster bass in a headphone before. It's well controlled (probably because of the extremely rigid chassis). It goes fairly deep and hits with massive power. Almost feels like the bass is shattering your bones.... If you're a basshead you won't find better.

Not saying the bass is really high-quality, it's absolutely not as clear as you'll get with other headphones at this price range and it's accentuated "boom" bass after all. But it's accentuated "boom" bass done right :)

The midrange kinda ruins it. I tried to like these for a fun headphone, but they're just not fun. The midrange is thin, withdrawn and lacking in energy and warmth. It just sounds completely passive. Like the bass carries the song and the mids (and highs) just go along. Blaah, music at a funeral is more enjoyable than what comes of of these.

The highs don't sound piercing, screechy or distorted but again lacks energy. No sparkle! The mids and treble together just makes for a very passive and "dead" sound. There's just no punch, no emotion.

They're built extremely well and look very nice, but they clamp alot and the pads don't cover your ears. They're almost on-ear headphones in fact. They feel hard and heavy on the head.

I would like to recommend these for lovers of bass-heavy tunes, but I just can't. They cost way too much for what you get and party music/dubstep should sound fun, fast and energetic. These do not.

Pros: Great Audio Quality, Amazing Build Quality, Fairly Comfortable, Beautiful Design

Cons: Way Too Expensive, Heavy Build

Ive had these headphones for 3 months now and from what i've seen they are pretty great. They have great audio quality, though not the best. But are very expensive for what you get. The build is all aluminum with very soft padding, so the build quality is great. But they are a bit heavy. A lot of people say they are uncomfortable because they are on-ear not over-ear like the studios. But I must disagree. Because I have very small ears, they fit over my ears and become a over-ear headphone for me, which makes them very comfortable, but a bit heavy. The design is sexy and is mostly the reason why these are so hyped up. Over all, though they sound pretty good and look nice, they are expensive for the price and I recommend you look else where. But if you have money to kill, deffinetly buy them.

Pros: build

Cons: comfort

mids are distorted

very good solid instrument separation

deep bass

laid back highs and not much detailed

synergizes very well on a neutral dac and EQed to bass reducer

Pros: Build quality, looks, branding, bass, highs,

Cons: Fatiguing, tight fit, heavy, mids, unrealistic sound.

Yes everyone i know what you will say. After all the hate these got i listened at best buy and i thought they sounded pretty good. I hesitated to hand over my money but in the end i did to go with a review and perhaps keep them if i was satisfied enough. Well to my ears i am satisfied.

Durability/Design

These are the most durable pair of headphones i have ever used. Full metal construction and huge thick cords, The design is also eye catching and they look sleek. To most people looks matter and i am no different. I do like my tech to look good but sound comes before looks every time.

The common consensus on comfort is that these are uncomfortable. I am inclined to agree. But it's no more uncomfortable then my grado's or my sennheisers. The durability makes up for the comfort.

Sound Quality/Value

In my opinion this is where these shine. Are they accurate and neutral? By deity no. These are colored bassy headphones. Although the bass is boomy i still find them Very fun for any genre. Metal shines on these and i find them more enjoyable then my other headphones. Dynamically my shure srh840 is better at $130 but they sound boring by comparison. These are primarily good for listening to music which is poorly recorded. It can make anything fun. These have a relatively v shaped sound signature. The bass is over emphasized while the mids are subdued. The highs are shiny and add fun to any song. Sound stage is nothing spectacular and instrument separation could be better but in all honesty it does it's job.

Now it's value is hard to pinpoint. For us audiophiles the $400 price point is not worth it. But even so if they were $300 i feel the average music listener would be over satisfied with these. Being $100 over priced is a problem but most people would buy these and not do any upgrading. In the long run this saves them money.

In the end i actually recommend these to anyone who wants a fun headphone that is really easy to drive and can be found at a local retailer. Hats off to monster for their marketing and leading some of them our way. We may act like these are evil by an evil corporation but many people including me have entered the hobby because of the likes of monster. I hope you enjoyed this review which was unbiased.

By:

Beats™ Pro™ High Performance Professional Headphones From Monster® - Pro-tuned Over-Ear - Black

BindingElectronics
BrandMonster
EAN0050644556654
FeatureThreaded 1/4-inch Adaptor with TetherHeavy duty, gold plated 1/4-inch adaptor ensures you're ready for any set up. And the attached tether makes sure it's there when you need it, not lost at your last gig.Proprietary Duel Input/Output Cable Ports
Height9999 inches
Product GroupCE
Product Type NameHEADPHONES
PublisherMonster Cable
StudioMonster Cable
TitleBeats Pro (High Performance Professional Headphones From Monster® - Pro-tuned Over-Ear - Black)
UPC050644556654