Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones › Reviews › Andrewnd's Review

They work for me!

A Review On: Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones

Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones

Rated # 262 in Universal Fit
Andrewnd

Pros: Good bass response, Good construction, Tangle-free flat cable, They look amazing

Cons: ControlTalk doesn't work with all phones, Hard to find a good seal

I know lots of users probably think these are crap, & you can get better earphones for the price, and I agree with them, you can get better sounding earphones for this price range but that doesn't matter to me, they work for what I use them for and they look far better than any other earphones available. Good SQ for me since I listen to mostly Rap/Hip-Hop music, Better bass response was my main focus point since that genre has lots of powerful lows & these handle it well, Other buds I've tried don't have the quality of these. Bass is far cleaner than most, mids are good & highs are clear. Monster does tune their Beats lineup for stronger bass so flat response is not what you get with these.

Build Quality seems good to me, never had a problem with them, I've heard & read reviews from a lot of people complaining about them breaking easily or in a very short time period but that's just not true for mine, I really like the flat cable, staying true to Monster's word, they don't tangle ever. I use them everyday and even when out biking or I'm at the gym and they are still fine, not a problem build-wise. Just to be safe when I bought them I got the extended warranty @ Best Buy for 20$ but I don't think I'll be needing it anytime soon.

I bought the model with the ControlTalk and my complaints are about the mic. Why can't they make it a Mic1 that works on every phone with a 3.5mm jack instead of the Apple Mic3 that works only with the iPhone/iPod/iPad? On the box it does say they work with BlackBerry, But sometimes when I use them with my BlackBerry it doesn't recognize the mic. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't, I don't know if its my phone or the headphones but still, its irritating when you have to keep unplugging and plugging them back in until it recognizes the mic & pause/play functions.

The earphones are very long and do go very deep in your ear, and for some reason I cannot get any of the eartips included to fit and stay in comfortably for longer than a few hours. Either the smaller ones fall out after awhile or the bigger ones put excessive pressure on my ear canals causing pain, I've never had this problem with any set of earphones before but I am looking at getting different foamtips for these that should help with my fit problems.

Other than those 2 small problems that I can deal with overall they do the job I want them to do & look far better than any other earbuds I've ever come across.

*UPDATE: Fixed the issues with my BlackBerry, turns out it was a small problem with the way I was inserting it into the phone, kinda weird if you ask me but now it works fine with my BlackBerry Bold. And I now use Comply T-400's with the Beats and they are by far a welcome improvement, more balanced SQ, and even better sound isolation and way more comfortable.

they are good but not really for the price..
but you really still need to explore to discover things in the audiophile world.. i came from the diddybeats then beats pro ..
for that kind of genre...... might as well eye on the JVC HA-fx700 .. the bass will blow you way..
my 2 cents
For the price, these aren't worth it - I have heard them - and much preferred my EX500's which are cheaper and better than these :)
They are fine, but IMHO, they sound the same with my Shure SE215, which is half the price, and has way better isolation. They share the same frequency response graph with Beats by the way. (:
Yeah I understand all your opinions but the simple fact for me is they do what I want in an IEM, look far better than any other earbud I've ever seen, no tangling, have a mic & sound good for me, but since i did this review I tried them with some Comply T-400 Medium foam tips and I must say they improve my fit issues by far & sound clearer & more balanced, If you have a chance try them, they work quite well on Beats!
the fact they aren't exactly durable has turned me away from them