Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Sound Cards › AudioQuest DragonFly Asynchronous USB DAC › AudioQuest DragonFly Asynchronous USB DAC Reviews

AudioQuest DragonFly Asynchronous USB DAC Reviews

scrypt

People keep saying it's the size of a thumb drive. . . .

Pros: "Wull, I got me a new thumb DAC and, uh, works real good, and it gots a purty blue critter on the side that somebody painted on thar. . . ."

Cons: "I had tuh save muh hard-earned shekels tuh plunk down thar jest tuh take the dang thang home. . . ."

But why are there no forefinger drives?  Why, why, in the name of Western Digit-Skull?
jmsaxon69

Outstanding value and performance in a small package

Pros: Bang for the buck

Cons: Easy to lose?

The only other piece I have owned that is similar is a Head Room Total Bithead. Being that the DF is MUCH smaller and does 24/96 I'd say there isn't much comparison at all as far as a computer interface goes. On the other hand the Total Bithead ran on batteries and could be used with my iPod on the go. I liked the Head Room image processing very much, why don't other manufacturers make similar systems? Is it considered a gimmick or a sham of some sort? Anyway... I am very much in the honeymoon phase with the DF and listen to 24/96 material almost exclusively through a brand new pair of Sennheiser Momentums Black which aren't even broken in yet.  So far so good!
Loquah

Amazing for the size and price

Pros: Tiny, no USB cable required, great sound, easy setup and ASIO4ALL compatibility

Cons: None that I can see

I'll update this once I get my UM Miracles back to really put it through its paces, but the Dragonfly sounds incredible driving my BeoLab 3 (active) speakers.   Super easy setup - literally plug and play. I'm using it with ASIO4ALL and it blows away any other USB-powered DACs I've heard. Connected to my BeoLab 3s it's easily on par with my Audio0gd NFB-5.2 in terms of soundstage and transparency.   More to come when I can drive some IEMs and headphones with it
TinHead88

Great little device with refined sound

Pros: DAC quality, portability, value

Cons: Single output

When I was looking recently at upgrading the sound in my main listening room I researched DACs and found some useful info at head-fi so I thought I'd contribute by writing a review on what I decided to go with. I don't have a lot of history in high end audiophile investments but I know good sound when I hear it For reference I was using an Apogee Duet FireWire audio interface with an Arcam AVR 250 and some Orpheus Nexus 1.5 loudspeakers. The source is a Mac Mini. The Duet has now been replaced by the Dragonfly and I'm surprised how immediate the improvement was. I'm not versed in the audiophile terminology so I'll just tell it how I hear it. The first thing that jumped out at me was the...
Currawong

Neat little DAC and headphone amp which is a good upgrade over onboard sound and does a decent job driving headphones.

Pros: Size! Great sound. Internal analogue volume control. Drives headphones & even sensitive IEMs well. Almost no hiss at max. volume.

Cons: No extension cable by default. Gets congested with complex music. USB power has its limits. Doesn't work with iPad camera kit.

One could be forgiven, I reckon, of feeling that new products are just manufacturers re-inventing the wheel and that there is nothing really new under the sun in audio. Indeed at least one product I want to write about is pretty much just that -- a manufacturer's own take on portable audio and, in many respects, not a particularly unique or interesting one.   Audioquest's Dragonfly isn't unique in a couple of aspects: It's not the very first thumb-drive-sized USB sound card and Audioquest aren't the first cable company to start making and selling digital audio gear. What makes it special (other than the funky dragonfly-shaped LED on top that changes colour depending on...