Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Audiophile Products Fubar IV Plus - Silver USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier

Audiophile Products Fubar IV Plus - Silver USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier

Rated #126 in Headphone Amplifiers

Pros: Great sounding, build quality, aesthetics

Cons: Slight hiss with low impedance cans

I purchased this a couple of months back with a "Firestone Supplier" which is basically just a power supply, so I dont get what the fuss is about... something with clean power... whatever... I got it for free so why the heck not? :) This is part of Firestones "Cute" series, so this amp/dac combo is very small, though the Supplier takes up just as much space as the amp itself (made with the same enhousement)

- I've switched out the standart op-amp (OPA2604) with 2x OPA627, but (this could just be my ears...) didn't really notice the difference (this could also be due to me not listening to them side-by-side).

However the sound... what can i say?... MASSIVE step up from the normal on-board sound on my motherboard (ALC889), the sound's so clean and neutral, pair this with a nice (high impedance... explanation later) headphone and you got yourself some nice equipment!

- Now to the low impedance "problems", I've tried this amp with multiple low impedance headphones (Sennheiser Momentum, and a bunch of IEM's) just to conclude that it's not the headphones, but the amp creating the slight hiss in the background. When listening to music I dont notice it, however when there's no audio playing I can clearly hear a hissing sound (though when I'm not listening to any audio I usually take of my headphones any way, because I have some tinnitus which is pissing me off.

But if you have some higher impedance cans (100+ ohm) I'd definetly recommend this amp, however at the "stock" prising (of the updated versions) there's some tough competition out there, ex: the O2/ODAC

Enjoy your music :)

Pros: power for big cans , two gain settings , nice feeling and big analog volume controll

Cons: 96Khz SPDIF, only 48Khz USB

sufficient volume for me :

HD650 max on 11 o'clock

Q701 max on 12 o'clock

AKG K550 on 10 o'clock

Audiophile Products Fubar IV Plus - Silver USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier

BrandAudiophile Products
EAN0008474920756
FeatureRCA Outputs - Using the Gold Plated RCA outputs you can connect the Fubar 4 Plus to your home stereo for playback over speakers.
LabelAudiophile Products
PublisherAudiophile Products
StudioAudiophile Products
TitleAudiophile Products Fubar IV Plus - Silver USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier
UPC008474920756
Special FeaturesThe Fubar 4 Plus combines a 24 Bit DAC and Hi-End Headphone Amplifier into one spectacular unit. The 192 kHz upsampling feature lets you experience the most life-like and natural sound you'll hear from your digital sources. Inputs include USB and a high end 24 Bit / 96 kHz DAC with both Digital Coax and Toslink Optical inputs. Listen with your headphones from the 1/4-inch jack or send your music directly to your stereo from the RCA outputs.