Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Audioengine N22

Audioengine N22

Rated #106 in Desktop Amps

Pros: Ample power, small footprint, multiple source inputs, simple operation, supplied interconnects, clean sound, relatively inexpensive

Cons: Wish it had one more source input, noticeable pop when power turned off/on even when not on

This small desktop amp fulfills the need for an unobtrusive device to be used at work.  It is small enough to fit on my workstation and the simple design is not distracting to myself or anyone around me. I used it initially to drive my ATH-M50Ws but have recently upgraded to Audeze EL-8Cs.  There is no issue in driving either headphone, but they do make the Audeze EL-8Cs sing.   It does come with mini-to-mini interconnects and speaker wiring, but I replaced them with Audioquest evergreen interconnects mini-to-mini and mini-to-rca to connect an iPod Classic and my MacBook Pro simultaneously.   Now I can hear any incoming computer message over my music, which consists of Jazz, Acoustic, Rock, Pop, Metal, and Alternative.  If it had one more source input, like a additional mini, or usb, I could move the computer to the usb and attach my phone.

The only issue I have is the popping when the power to the amp is turned off/on.  I only have to do this on occasion when my monitor falls asleep since the MacBook does not seem to trigger it to awake.

In an attempt to describe the sound, all I can say is that the N22 did not distort the signal from the inputed source.  No noticeable distortion, no hiss, and no humm .  I listened to recordings directly from my iPod Classic, iPhone 6, and MacBook Pro and compared at similar volume levels through the N22 using my Audeze EL-8Cs.

The following list of songs were used during the comparison:

Lazeez - Acoustic Alchemy - Against the Grain

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel - So

The Claw - Clint Black - Sounds of Wood & Steel

Nothing Too Good (For a Friend) - Doyle Dykes - Sound of Wood & Steel

Don't Know Why - Norah Jones - Come Away with Me

Pachelbel's Canon in D Major (Piano)

Cowboy - Kid Rock - Devil Without a Cause

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (Disc 2)

Roads Untraveled - Linking Park - Living Things

Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The sound was full and the soundstage was wonderful, but I probably need to contribute that to the EL-8Cs.

Audioengine N22

The vertical design of the N22 with its integrated stand allows the 22 watt/per channel stereo class A/B amplifiers to run cool through passive convection without a fan or massive heatsink. The N22 fits easily on your desk and doesn't take up much space. For headphone enthusiasts the N22 includes a high-performance, low-noise discrete amplifier which works well with all types of headphones and earphones The Audioengine N22 has a built-in power port for iPod charging while listening to your music. The USB connector allows you to charge and power your iPod, iPhone, Audioengine wireless adapters or any other USB powered product. USB is for power only, not USB audio or data transfer. The N22 includes a variable preamp output so you can connect a subwoofer, external amplifier, or Audioengine wireless adapter and control the volume of the line-out from the front panel. Both audio inputs on the N22 are active so two audio sources may be connected to the amplifier at the same time without the need for an input switch. A standby idle mode is also included to conserve power when you're not playing music. Use the N22 amp, Audioengine P4 passive speakers, and our W1 wireless adapter for a low-cost but great-sounding wireless rear channel setup for your home theater.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Audioengine N22