Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC › Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC Reviews

Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC Reviews

spittis

Perfect for 2.0 speakers + headphones

Pros: Value, sound, build quality, size, volume control

Cons: -

Used with studio monitors and Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 ohm headphones.   Nothing really bad to say about this DAC/Amp. The build quality is high, size is small, it drives all headphones I tested it with well. No flaws in the audio quality, looks good, gives you a volume control not only for your headphones, but for your speakers too which is nice if you use studio monitors with separate pots on the backs of the speakers. It's also worth to mention that it accepts digital input from USB, or optical toslink.   So if you need an affordable DAC with RCA outs and an adequate headphone amplifier built in, this is a great alternative.
fjrabon

Great portable/work solution worth much more than it's selling price

Pros: small size, build quality, features, spaciousness, liveliness

Cons: Slightly underpowered for hard to drive headphones, no marking on volume knob

I was looking for a work solution to drive my relatively low impedance headphones I use at work (Shure SRH840 and Grado SR225e), while also being able to feed my powered desktop speakers (BOSE companion II).  As I don't do critical listening at work, I didn't need the highest level of audio quality, but I needed something small and portable so that I could easily put it in my briefcase when leaving for the weekends, etc.  I also wanted it to look okay, but have a fairly small footprint.  I looked at a lot of products and ended up trying this and the HiFiman EF2A.  They both seemed to fit my needs of a AMP/DAC combo in an attractive, small package.     My...
dalb

Brilliant value

Pros: Great value, sounds great, drives all my headphones well

Cons: N/A

Great entry level DAC. Noticeable improvement over the onboard sound of my mac. Pairs great with my audioengine A2s. Powers my HD600 and HE400 headphones very well, seriously can not tell the difference between this and the Asgard 2 (which very much disappointed me for the price).  Gorgeous looks and build quality. Great size. If I ever upgrade my DAC I will use this as a portable/bedside DAC + amp. Powered off USB is great.
Joong

compact and amazing and versatile

Pros: Sound quality

Cons: Price misleading

In my opinion, this is as good as the unit of several times more expensive ones. This is no way inferior to Matrix mini, other than smaller number interfaces to the audio source. It is also driven by IPAD through USB powered hub.   The design is considerate, compact, and beautiful yet srong.
cutecob

Nice Unit for the money

I purchased this unit because I wanted something to go with my laptop and Audioengine 2 speakers. I wanted something reliable with repair available in the US vs sending the unit back to China with unknown freight and wait times. I hooked the unit up briefly and it works fine with no pops or noise. The sound is very neutral and my MP3's never sounded better.