Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Noise-Canceling › Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 Headphones › Reviews › bedlam inside's Review

Great design and ergonomics - shame about the sound

A Review On: Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 Headphones

Rated # 18 in Noise-Canceling
Noise Cacellation
bedlam inside

Pros: Great looks/feel, very easy to wear, impeccable build

Cons: A positively awful tonal balance, criminally bass shy and overemphasised mids make them sound like a megaphone

I did not really find anything that I liked a lot in the tonality of these headphones, As low points, a lack of bass, a forward, high frequency emphasised sound. I’d be hard pressed to listen to anything on these for enjoyment or even background listening, personally speaking. I like them less than the by far cheaper Grado’s. As these are closed back headphones sound output from the headphones is lowered, which can be the deciding factor in some cases.

These headphones are an enigma to me. A lot of care and effort has gone into their design and I can only conclude that the tonal balance with all its faults and flaws was designed intentionally like this. Maybe this type of sound will appeal to some, in me it produced a strong rejection.

I really wanted to like these headphones, they look great, I can afford them and wearing them feels great, but the sound quality is a total letdown to me. If only I could have the sound of the Sennheiser HD-600 with the build and price tag of the ATH-W1000, I’d go and buy one now.

Read the whole review here:

Comments: