Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S › Reviews › Klapp's Review

Don't let the bad first impression fool you

A Review On: Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Klapp

Pros: Incredible sound: crisp highs, tight bass, clean mids and easily driven, comfortable

Cons: Pleather sticks to skin a bit, slightly sore ears after extreme use I didn't get with my AKG 272's

The only real quality headphones I've had before these were my AKG 272's, which broke a few months ago. I've been using 20 dollar panasonic earbuds that I've thought sound pretty decent for a while now, but I decided it was time I get something quality again, and I wanted to try something new. I was prepared for a disappointing first listen, after reading all the reviews here, and that's exactly what I got. The highs were so sharp they hurt with certain songs (keep in mind I was used to muddy, rolled back in-ear cheapies), the bass was almost non-present and the mids were pushed back so far I made sure I didn't have a weird EQ on by accident. But after a few days of near constant listening and a combination of my ears adjusting and the cans breaking in, I'm SERIOUSLY impressed even for the pretty inflated price I picked them up for. The bass has loosened out to the point it'll really wobbles my head exactly when it needs to, but stays clean in anything not intended to be bassy and it hasn't lost a hint of the detail. Same for the highs, they're no longer as harsh as they were but still sound just as clean and I'm losing myself in my music more than I'd thought possible before. The only complaint I could have with these headphones is the soundstage is naturally a bit flat considering being closed-back and having incredible isolation, although the excellent stereo balance really makes it hard to notice unless you're used to open back headphones. Overall I'd recommend these to almost anyone, they're the perfect balance between the basshead punch and a studio neutrality. Just let them burn in for a few days before you judge them, especially if you're new to the audiophile thing.

I plan to get a FiiO E7 ASAP to help the soundstage and make these sound even better. I was skeptical at first.. But there's a reason they're number 1.

Comments: