Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S › Reviews › BLACKENEDPLAGUE's Review

n00b metalhead's first venture in audiophilism

A Review On: Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

BLACKENEDPLAGUE

Pros: Sound good overall, looks good

Cons: Tight fit, uber long cord, has a muddy tone, the closed design and leather pads induce sweating

Okay I'm not going to fill this area with a bunch of BS terms I'm just going to say it straight up.

I bought the headphones from a really nice used shop locally, and I was told they were pretty decent. Upon first applying them to the not forehead (because that would be retarded behavior), I noticed the isolation was quite impressive. The guy that worked there was talking but I couldn't hear a damned thing he was saying. The song I tested it with was King Crimson's "Epitaph." The power they gave off was very nice and despite what the assistant said, the bass was of a great level, not too high and not too low. When I got home I listened to American IV by Johnny cash and let me tell you, PURE MAGIC.

A couple gripes I had: The fit was pretty tight so I wasn't able to wear them longer than 7-10 minutes at a time, the cord is long as hell so I was sitting in my computer chair holding 75% of it, and the condition they were in was less than stellar. The ear pads were beat to hell, given this means nothing if you buy them new or used from a decent person, but there was no way I would keep the cans and pay $20 for replacement pads. I mean heck at that point I might as well buy them new!

I'll will be getting another pair down the line but as of no I can't afford it.

These headphones are highly recommended by the community and there is a reason why; If you get these things in new/good condition THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY, and if you get them for a steal of a deal then that just makes them better!

EDIT - Now that I have a new pair this can be updated. The music sounds muddy, especially in the mids and highs. I don't know if this goes away after burn-in or not but it isn't that big of a deal.

Comments: