Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S › Reviews › Noyan's Review

No amp, no problem

A Review On: Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Noyan

Pros: Decent treble, mids, and bass

Cons: Muddy bass at time, as scratchy treble

For the price, you probably won't get a much better over the ear headphone. Any headphone worth buying over $200 needs an amp. There are Sony brands around the same price that are good as well, but I've found these deliver an overall better sound. At a REASONABLE volume, these have a sweet airiness to them; almost as if you're mid row at an outside concert. They deliver decent bass (although not as much as I like), some good mids (which personally I think are the best part of these), and a clear treble. Now, its not CRYSTAL clear- it does get sloppy at times, but mostly when listening at high volumes. I think what they tried to do with these is balance out the high, mids, and low as best they could, making these cans a jack (or an apprentice :D) of all trades, but a master of none, if you will.

On the comfort end, these are very comfortable. Now, if anyone has ever tried the Bose Quietcomfort, these are a couple notches down on the comfort rating. None the less, I've worn them for hours comfortably.

For 115 dollars I was very pleased with my purchase, and I believe now that they are even cheaper (at B&H photo online).

One side note though, is that for me, these phones needed burn-in time. About 20 hours worth I would say. The treble was very overpowering when I first got them, but after leaving them on all night, they sounded much better. (or perhaps I got used to the sound signature, or whatever you believe beyersmile.png

Comments: