Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S › Reviews › veedees's Review

Here we go again.

A Review On: Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

veedees

Pros: Wonderful sound quality, price, and build.

Cons: Most cosmetic: Hot earpads, long cable.

As if everyone and their mother hasn't reviewed these already.

*DISCLAIMER*

This is coming from a very unbiased source and a non-audiophile, I just listen to music.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's get started.

​I received these as a Christmas gift after watching reviews nonstop until Christmas. Let's say I was excited.

These did not disappoint. Before using this I had used pretty much in-ears and the dreaded Apple pain canons. (pretty sure you know what I'm talking about :P)

The only "Actual headphones" I had heard were some old Beats Studios (the aluminum ones) and on several occasions Bose QC-15's, a couple times in Best Buy/Bose store and once borrowed from my cousin for 5 minutes. (he kindly asked for them back.) I quite enjoy the sound of those, but the Batteries, price, and cable put me off.

The in-ears I had used up until when I received these were the House of Marley People Get Ready Jammin'swhich were pretty nice IMHO. (Loved the braided cable.)

Sound Quality.

When I first put these on, I was astounded at what I could hear. Hi-hats in the background that used to be muffled now sounded like they were behind me somewhere. The track separation (I guess that's what you call it... ¯\(°_o)/¯) is immense. Awesome. A few of the first songs I listened to were Hey Brother by Avicii and Set Fire To The Rain by Adele. Both sounded awesome, vocals were crystal clear and sounded awesome. Let us get this out of the way, my genre of choice is primarily EDM (deadmau5, Kaskade, Daft Punk, etc.) and really, that's all I listen to. (Listening to "Motherboard by Daft Punk as I type this.) I tried to listen to alot of different things. From Black Metal to Jazz, these are great. I enjoy the "Electronic" EQ preset on Apple devices. (A small bump in the bass, slightly recessed mids, and a slight treble boost.) It sounds pretty good on almost all genres IMO. With that out of the way, lets rate:

Bass: 4/5 Not up to "Beats muffledness" not at all muddy, very accurate and punchy; like I've never heard before this.

Mids: 4/5 As stated earlier, I like more "recessed" mids but on a flat EQ, vocals come through super clear. Nice.

Treble: 5/5 To date, best treble I've heard personally. (keep in mind I haven't had much experience :) Very accurate as audiophiles like to say. :P

Build/style.

Style is up to you, but when assessing friends it's been a mixed bag, some like it and some like their puke-green Solo HD's better.

They are made of plastic, yea, but it doesn't feel cheap in any way. They feel very solid in the hand and fit anyone I've let try them. I have Craniosynostosis which has left my head slightly deformed. It is tall and thin and these fit me fine, to be honest they would fit a Pterodactyl the way the ear cups swivel. Speaking of the ear cups, I don't like them. The clamping pressure is absurd when you get them, and mine still are breaking in. After 3-4 hours of music listening, your ears become a bit, shall we say, moist. *gigglegigglegiggle* The metal band in the headband is greatly appreciated though, and hopefully these last a long time. Now to the cable. I own the coiled cable version M50's and honestly, it's not THAT bad. An iPod touch and the coil can easily be stuffed into a nicely sized pocket. Overall, very impressed.

Conclusion.

Best purchase I've made in a while. So worth it if you listen to/make a lot of music. (which I do NO SHAME) They have their minor quirks which is why they received 4.5/5 overall, but they are near perfect. I hope a M50 v2.0 comes out with a shorter removable cable and velour ear pads as an option. I've heard so many great things about these and everyone is spot on. Best $100 spent so far, cannot recommend these more as some beginner cans.

Hope this helped, warmest regards,

VeeDees :L3000: