Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S › Reviews › Mobiustereo's Review

Incredible set of cans for the money

A Review On: Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Mobiustereo
Posted · 222 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: Solid, strong bass, very linear across the almost the entire frequency band

Cons: Bass can be a little too much of a good thing on certain recordings, not the largest soundstage compared to 'top flight' cans

I almost want to title this review 'the little train that could' as I bought these on a bit of a lark. I was looking for a decent set of cans to primarily take with me on road trips. The unique (and ingenious) method with which these collapse and fold was a big seller for me. So, not really expecting them to keep up with my vaunted Senn. HD800's, I thought "what the heck, lets plug these suckers into my BIG RIG & see what they can do.." Well, to say I was shocked would be an understatement. I NEVER expected them to have the amount of resolution, impact and overall enjoyable 'musicality' that these do indeed possess.

I actually find myself spending a fare amount of 'ear time' listening to these 'phones, despite the dirty looks my Sennheis-ies give me while I'm doing it (kinda similar to the looks my wife gives me while perusing the Victoria Secrets catalog...)

Audio-Technica has always offered a great product, giving more than there share of fun & excitement for the money, and these awesome headphones clearly prove that point (I've owned my share of A.T. phono cartridges and even their Electret Condenser ATH-7 headphones - now I'm aging myself!).

Bottom line - if you are looking for a great set of 'phones in or near this price range, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't give these terrific headphones a listen.

1 Comment:

Spot on thoughts for an excellent intro to head-fi.