ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones, great for portable use

A Review On: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones

pileman
Posted · Updated · 27354 Views · 2 Comments

Pros: Good isolation, good midrange, quite nice soundstage for a closed back headphone, price/performance, sturdy, rotating cups, great looks? , portable

Cons: Heavy non detachable cable, horrible earpads, high clamping pressure, muffled and overemphasised bass, metallic treble

The ATH-M50 headphones are one of the most recommended headphones on the Internet. Sure they do sound quite good as for a 200$ headphone, but there are far better sounding headphones in the same price range. In my opinion coiled cable headphone version is more bulky than the straight cable version and adds an unnecessary weight. I have both versions of these headphones and I can say that the straight cable version is much much nicer.

Bass: bass is overemphasised, muffled, loose I would rate it 6/10 and use EQ to bring it down a bit.

Midrange: the midrange is very nice when bass is EQ'd down, I would rate midrange 9.5/10.

Treble: treble has poor detail, quite harsh sounding, after 100 hour burn in it does improve. Overall I would rate it 6/10

comfortability:

Clamping pressure really makes it, impossible to listen to these headphones for long periods. Also the earpads warm ears up. I would rate comfortability 7/10

Conclusion:

Even though these headphones have problems with comfortability, bass, treble and non detachable cable I would really recommend these headphones for portable use and getting straight cable version, instead of coil cable, as it adds unnecessary weight. Overall I would rate these headphones 8/10

Hi, could you outline in a few sentences the qualities of some of the other headphones in the $115 range that you feel clearly outperform the ath-50?
Thanks!
I really hope you didn't actually pay $200 for these. They can be had new for about $110, and used for less than a hundred dollars. They might not be the most competitive in the two Benjamin range, but for a hundred bucks you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of legitimate competition.