Average Consumer; Great Headphones for Value

A Review On: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones

JGrignon
Posted · Updated · 259 Views · 3 Comments

Pros: Sound quality, Price

Cons: Long cord, Can get uncomfortable

Bought these because they were cheap and because everyone says such great things about them. Didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised with their sound. I don't know much about good sound quality but these certainly sound a lot better than your average pair of cans. I did not realize the cord would be so long, I probably should have better researched them. Obviously these headphones were;t designed for walking around with, but that is what I use them for. The cord is really long and just gets caught on everything so perhaps not the best choice for a pair of walk-around-cans. Build quality is superb, no issues. They tend to get uncomfortable after a couple hours but, what else is new.

Overall, for an average consumer, they are great headphones. I am very happy with them.

* March 2013 *

I sold them. Not because I didn't like them, but because they weren't getting used. I wanted something that was easily portable, which these were to some degree, but they were not fun to walk around with with such a long cord. Plus, I got the coiled cord which, sometimes can be great, was a pain in the ass since it kept getting caught on my pockets, etc. If the cord was shorter then I would have kept them. I am not complaining though, I should have known how long the cord was, they are for DJs after all and not leisurely listening. Some may not have a problem with it of course.

Hi, JGringon. I'm new here too, and only recently started getting into this hobby in earnest. Glad to hear you're enjoying your M50's. I had a similar experience. I still very much enjoy mine.
I originally got mine to replace some AKG 81's I lost on a business trip (along w/my PA2V2 amp) and was floored as soon as I put them on my head. I know this will sound crazy to some, but I preferred their sound to my HD580's, especially out of my Headroom Micro Stack. Unfortunately, this led me to Denon D5000's, which led me to where I am now, LCD-2v2's. For your sake, I hope the M50's don't have the same "gateway" effect that they had for me.
if everyone buys an m50 and starts to consider themselves as audiophiles . .what really left of the 'real' audio addicts?
I didn't really like these headphones myself. I found them great for tracking, but they weren't very fun to listen to music with. I'd prefer the grado 225i's in this particular cost range...though everyone has their own preferred sound signature and you have to listen around to find what works for you.