Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones › Reviews › monk3ym4jik's Review

My first real headphones... blown away.

A Review On: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones

Rated # 11 in On-Ear
monk3ym4jik

Pros: Amazing high and mid ranges. Female Vocals, Jazz and Orchestral Music is amazing.

Cons: Bass is not very heavy, but it is there (compared to a pair of ATH-M50s)

I got these as my first set and I couldn't be more satisfied.

I ordered them refurbished for $149.00 from an audiotechnica certified dealer on the internet (ironically, I ordered the ESW9As, but got a set of these instead--what serendipitous fortune!).

Seeing as I listen to Jazzy Beats (see songs such as 'The Strange Fruit Projects - Maintain' for reference) as well as soundtracks ('A Dark Knight,' etc.) or more chill electronica (see 'Ellie Goulding - Lights (Shook Remix)' for reference), these headphones were perfect for me.

The highs and mids shine on this pair of headphones. Even without a DAC/amp (I bought a FiiO E07K ANDES to complete this set-up), the headphones deliver amazing sound driven straight from my Macbook, iPhone 4S, Ipod, etc. The lows were also there, but definitely not as big as my friend's pair of ATH-M50s.

With a DAC/amp, however, everything changes. I have the ANDES set on +4 Treble and +6 Bass and these things even out perfectly. It just wakes everything up. Even the low rumbling in some of my soundtrack songs were unbelievably impressive.

My only qualm about this set of cans is that the connectors between the band and the cups are made of plastic--a high grade plastic, but plastic nonetheless--as opposed to being all metal and leather (like my other friend's B&W P5s). Also when I first got the headphones, the clamp hurt my ears after about 3-4 hours of solid listening. Since then, it has loosened up a bit to fit my head, so I'm hoping that with time it will fit my head just perfectly.

Overall, I highly recommend this pair of headphones for anyone looking for a portable set. They are aesthetically beautiful with their Hokkaido Sovereign Cherry wood cups and they sound beautiful as well, particularly with a decent DAC/amp (no clue what a straight AMP would do).

A definite 9 to 9.5/10