Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Audio Technica ATH-CK7 Titanium Earphones › Reviews › the wizard of oz's Review

Upgrade from EX90?

A Review On: Audio Technica ATH-CK7 Titanium Earphones

Audio Technica ATH-CK7 Titanium Earphones

Rated # 113 in Universal Fit
the wizard of oz

Pros: Durable build, hopefully the cable too; decent SQ, maybe even good

Cons: Durability of the cable maybe; took a long time to burn-in & bass & mids not satisfactory : bass heavy these are.

I ordered the Audio-Technica ATH-CK7(S) Titanium Earphones to replace my Sony MDR-EXQ1's in terms of a comfortable pair of earphones, with SQ hopefully at least as good as the EX90's.

First Impressions

It seems I may need to find something else with the SQ of the EX90's and the fit of the EXQ1, as so far I am a little disappointed by the CK7's... The mids of the EX90's sound better.
I've been thoroughly comparing the EX90's & CK7's with the Maria João Pires playing the Chopin Nocturnes album recording in PCM on my EH1, and the piano sounds not quite right in the mediums I feel... The tone seems a bit off.

Shame, for comfort-wise, I really am liking the CK7's. And definition-wise, I'm quite impressed too. Even more detail: the instrument separation is better.

Maybe I should have listened to the advice I was given in not getting them, but I really should allow more burn-in time, and only then if they don't improve will I be selling them.

Further impressions

Well, more burn-in time seems to address the mediums issue, since they have improved a lot. Maybe this will turn out to be a fully satisfactory purchase after all. Comfort-wise I am still very happy with them. Perfect for lying down with them, be it in a hammock, couch or in bed. No qualms with being turned on the side, rolling over; since they don't stick out, no pain whatsoever.
Listening to piano solo is getting to be a nice experience, they are nearing the EX90's tone balance now. I have to keep an ear out for the bass, since they seem a little bloated at times; I'll have to throw some Paul Chambers' Bass on Top to them, before commenting any further on that.

Even further impressions

Yep, these are a little too bass-heavy...

Listening to Flying Lotus with the CK7's gets fatiguing after a while, whereas I don't experience this with the EX90's.

I don't think I will keep them, which is a shame as I'm sure it will be hard to find a replacement that has both the looks, good sound & small footprint. Not too mention they weren't too expensive.

Time for a serious upgrade, CK10, CK100? Oh dear, my banker won't approve :D !

Conclusions

I've given them away; I really wanted to like these, but even though the definition was better than my EX90's, there just was too much bass for them to satisfy me.

Comments: