Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones Reviews

Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones Reviews

mrstrangeguy

Years on, still a highly capable and unique earphone with little in the way of alternatives

Pros: Resolving in spades, Airy Treble without peakiness, great imaging and separation, very good build quality

Cons: Not traditionally "musical", lacks body and note weight, requires deep insertion and tip picky, timbre + texture may be offputting

Background: The Audio-Technica CK10 is a dual BA IEM that was released in 2008, back then in those simpler times, CIEMs were a highly niche market, three BA drivers per ear was considered a lot, and $500 on a pair of IEMs would be considered preposterous. The market that the CK10 faced then is a completely different world from IEMs today, and given the last review for these here was done nearly 5 years ago, how have they held up?   Gear Used: HM650 Balanced Card - Source Sony MDR-EX1000 Campfire Audio Orion Campfire Audio Jupiter   Build and Fit: The overriding impression one initially gets with these is that they are a very high quality product, the housings are...
kiteki

ck10

Pros: watery mids, airy highs, revealing, detailed, exceptional for trance and similiar music, excellent for background listening or sleeping in.

Cons: unnatural and flat sounding, not suitable for rock.

These are most likely the best IEM's you will ever find for trance, let me explain, firstly it is as if they are fine-tuned and sonically crafted for Trance and similiar genres, all the vices you heard in these IEM's in other genres suddenly become virtues and they simply come alive and you are swept away. Secondly, there is something about the sound signature in these IEM's that is trance inducing, I believe it lies in the very flat and true to life frequency response and satin smooth mids, it's like listening to water, like a band playing on a misty lake, this quality is very fine and quite relaxing, unlike other IEM's I can listen to these for hours and I even fell asleep in them...
SolidSnake3

End of the universal road for me

Pros: Soundstage, clarity, detail

Cons: bit pricey now, bass quantity if that is your thing

Well what do I really need to say that the title doesn't? These IEM's are the best universals I have ever owned or listened to. They are the complete package for me, they fit great, isolate well, have a build quality higher than anything else I have ever owned and have sound to die for. They are the most enjoyable universals I have owned and I know from the minute I listened to the loaner pair I got from ljokerl last June that someday I would own them. I remember putting them in, playing a song and knowing that they were special, something that one day I would own, didn't know when or how but I would get them eventually.   I now own a pair of JH5's and those are more natural...
Trysaeder

The electron microscope of iems

Pros: Extreme technical capabilities

Cons: Timbre and character

I won't write too much about this because there's much that has already been said about it. I've had this for a long time so the new toy syndrome has worn off, and boredom has set in. However recently I've been appreciating its sound more, and decided to share some thoughts. If you like detail, speed, sparkle and great microphonics, then this is your iem. It is a specialised tool that enables you to comb through any track for deficiencies if you want. This comes with a downside though, and it may bother some people. The timbre is not suitable for every genre, sounding unnatural and sometimes clinical.   This is perhaps the best earphone for trance and other forms of...