Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Noise-Canceling › Audio-Technica® ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint noise-canceling headphones

Audio-Technica® ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint noise-canceling headphones

Rated #11 in Noise-Canceling

NC (4/5): Reduces ambient noises but you will still be able to hear people talking, phones ringing, cars passing by etc. It's more like Noise reduction, with music playing however it offers alot of reduction. I could not here cars passing by, voices, or the sound of a loud 380W Stereo.

Lows (4/5): Moderate power however it sounds a bit muddy. Bassheads will need to look elsewhere. Good for most generes except Hip-Hop/Dubstep. With some EQ Adjustments (+2-3db 40hz+), It becomes much more powerful and carries a nice thump, great for Dubstep and such.

Mids (3/5): The midrange does not stand out. Vocals sound distant and lower drum and piano notes (Lower Middle C Note) do not carry much power and excitement.

Highs: (4/5): Vocals carry little sibilance and hissing, not very fatiging. Hi-Hats, snares, and the higher notes of the piano are powerful and cinematic sounding. Lots of detail, I could notice encoding errors in some songs.

Soundstage (4/5): Not extremley accurate, but pretty good. Instruments are seperated well but sometimes it tends to sound mashed up. I tested some games and movies on this and I was easily able to distingush where foot-steps were, which direction voices were coming from, and the direction of where gun-shots were fired.

Comfort (3.5/5): I have a average size head, (7 3/8 US Hat Size). The headphones require me to have the whole entire band extended, If you have a big head these won't work. The pads are kind of tight and most of the pressure is set on my ears. I feel nothing on head, but on my ears it feels like someone is grabbing them.

Build Quality (2/5): I have read many reviews on Amazon and a-lot of people say the Vinyl will wear off. I noticed many were also saying the headband was also snapping and cracking after a year. The design is almost 90% plastic, it feels a bit cheap. Made in China too.

Overall a 3.5 Out of 5. Good Sound, but not amazing. Not so good comfort while having good noise cancellation. They can be driven from a portable source easily (My iPod did great). I noticed a bit of improvement with a amp. Sound leakage was a problem too. At 50% volume you could hear the headphones across my room. It can be heard by about 10+Feet in a quiet place. In public little sound leaked out, except for Hi-Hats and some female vocals.

First of all, I am NOT a audiophile, yet. I am just a beginner, my wallet is very slim

I am relatively inexperienced, but after surfing around here I think I have experience in writing reviews in audiophile terms. But I try my best expressing them in layman terms. I am 16 and i joined here about a couple of months back

Summarised version is below. These kinda sound like the klipsch S4, except for its huge spacious sound stanging

Let's start!

Hell yeh! This cups have thick padding which are really nice, headband is also thick with cushioning.

Some how, the pads make you sweat quite quickly, walking around outside under the sun will make your sweat and you can literally see big droplets on the padding. Which I fear one day it will damage the drivers O.O

Durability

Headband is made of metal. woots! Hinges are done with screws. It feels fragile due to the padding and stuff but actually its quite strong. One guy that tested this headphone dropped it on the floor. But it is fine

Highs

I am not a big fan of highs but still look out to them, I listen to a lot of orchestra music.(I am in a orchestra myself haha)

Cymbals and high hats handled well. little hissing(Simbilience[lol i cant spell this]). Decent for its price range. Detailed and clean

Mids or vocals

Now, this is sort of dissapointing.

Vocals are really really smooth and pleasent at this point. But they recessed and weak. They seem to be far away. Could be due to the noise cancellation. As a mids-head(lol) I was really dissapointed when I purchased this. I mean its not that bad, but if you are critical about it. You will find this a trouble. Its natural for a person to turn up the volume, this will lead to noise leak(When I come to Cons later). However well mixed songs have a better mids representation and thus you would really enjoy this. They are one hell of a warm headphones. Definitely for acoustic music.

e.g

Hunger games- Safe and sound by Megan and tiff

and

Madilyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn-_MyJV37E  ---  hear this for slippery super lubricated smooth vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT491Q7lOYo --- hear this for general acoustic music. She is really good with the guitar. its so warm and you can use it for winter haha. Screw the heater.

BASSSSS!!!!!! (BADUM TSSS)

Probably a section that people skip to here. never mind.

The bass of this thing is very satisfying. Powerful and punchy. With a bit of muddy-ness for basshead heads and fun listening. As these cans are warm, they definitely have good bass. The song  I test is turbulance(house) To extreme bassheads. I think you are better off listening to audio tech solid bass series that I have e.g. ATH CKS77/90 OR ATH WS55,70. Maybe sony XB series.(which is ugly in my opinion lol) If they are not very satisfactory I suggest you change your source. for a tight budget, get the sony walkman B series. The bass button just give you so much more power. Oh another thing, they are definitly more tidy then the beats by dre.(bass) bass guitar is goooood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7hPJr2bFHk Domino cover by madilyn again.

SOUND ISOLATION

Probably why you are here

The isolation on these things do preeeety well. I rate it 7.5/10. They do well in cutting ambient noise and bus engines. things go really silent at a flick of a switch. That's how I convince my aunt and dad to buy this for me. This won them over

With that being said. I will summarise everything here

Pros:

Great bass, aids in warm sound. good for rap

Mids and smooth, but recessed. Get a well mixed song. May not work well for rock

Treble will not deafen your ears with its hissing sound haha

Comfort is goooood

Light and portable, goodies like travel and 1/4 SHINY GOLD(i LOVE THIS MOST) are generous

Comes with batteries. Trust me, you will love them so much when you are desperate to listen when you buy

Cancellation is worth it for its price

cons:

This is the most important section so must read:

Noise leak is BAD. Ok, as I said the recessed mids make you turn up the voulme. Everybody will definitly listen

to what you are listening. You are like a walking open headphone user with a close back. Its better of getting an open one( hd 5xx series. I WANT A HD 598!) .

The headband extenstion is blooooody small. Make sure you test them out before buying it. It fits me just nice so I am a little worried that I grow out of it. Most of friends around me can't put these on even when extension is max

Cable that connects to the headphone has no twist lock like the shures. and these only fold flat.

Conclusion

These are cans that are really decent and slightly leaning to overpricing. You are better off looking for headphones with the same sound signature if you don't need the noise cancelling. If you really need noise cancelling. These are definitley for you. But if you really persist getting this  despite the cons you must be a person that is:

1)Not a huge fans of mids

2)Dont really care about noise leak. and you love the blast these, they are quite loud

3)Not a huge fan for bass, prefers overall sound balance.

So thats the end, thanks for reading. Feel free the enquire!! >,<

I nearly vomited blood. The alignment of this and the leaving a new line thing is sooooo annoying

Audio-Technica® ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint noise-canceling headphones

around-the-ear, sealed earcup design * up to 20 dB reduction of ambient noise * frequency response 10-25,000 Hz * on/off switch for passive (standard) or active (noise-canceling) operation * uses one "AAA" battery (included) for up to 40 hours of noise-canceling operation *

BindingElectronics
BrandAudio-Technica
ColorBlack
EAN0061310105540
FeatureUses one "AAA" battery (included) for up to 40 hours of noise-canceling operation
Height11 inches
Product GroupCE
Product Type NameCONSUMER_ELECTRONICS
Publisheraudio-technica
Studioaudio-technica
TitleAudio-Technica® ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint around-the-ear noise-canceling headphones
UPC061310105540
Batteries Included1
FormatCD
Is Autographed0
Is Memorabilia0
Operating SystemN/A
Special FeaturesArrive refreshed after a long flight, avoid distractions in a noisy office, or find peace & quiet in your living room...with ATH-ANC7b QuietPoint® Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones. These lightweight, compact headphones effectively reduce distracting background noise by up to 85-percent while offering the superior audio quality that has made Audio-Technica a worldwide leader in electro-acoustic technology.
Battery Description1 AAA