Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones Reviews

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones Reviews

TheHeadPhoneGuy

Best Gaming Can on the Market!

Pros: Everything

Cons: The twisty cord.

So I want to start off by stating that is this is my first real review of any headphone on this website. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of your imagination! I will try to best explain what my opinions are in as clear of a description as possible. Enjoy!     These are my first pair of open backed headphones. My intention for these headphones was for gaming. They are my go to gaming headphones for CS:GO. But as total virgin to open back cans I had no idea what to expect for music and gaming. I will start with gaming first.   GAMING   CS:GO: For CS these can are the best I have heard EVER. The positional audio, clarity and soundstage can not be beat....
TheJniac

First serious pair of over-ears, they are awesome, but not perfect.

Pros: Vast soundstage, Very clear sounding. Cable and headphone feel solid. Lightweight

Cons: Some say the bass is lacking. Cable is long, and has strong cable memory.

Head"Band" The headpiece is a pair of thinly padded pieces of molded plastic that rest on the head, attached to the cans' rotating mount via a spring-loaded piece of plastic. This is, from what i have seen, somewhat of a signature for Audio Technica, and it works well enough. This causes them to float at a position set by the tension of the spring, and thanks to the light weight of the headphones, makes the thin padding sufficient. There is a serious flaw with it though, the ear-cups only rotate horizontally, so if you have a small head, they will not surround your ears. I am fortunate as they just fit, but they form a pressure-point at the back of my jaw after long sessions...
dogroll

Detailed and spacious sound. Light on bass and built well.

Pros: Very detailed sound. Great soundstage. Great separation. Good build.

Cons: Light bass. Sounds a little cold. Comfort depends on head size/shape and your ears can rub against the drivers.

Comfort & Fit   The AD700X are reasonably comfortable. How comfortable they are and how well they fit depends entirely on the size and shape of your head. They are not made for something with a small head and they don't have an adjustable headband to account for different head sizes, although the 3D wings are flexible so it does have some head room (heh heh...) for fit.   The ear cups are quite large. They will fit around fairly large ears easily. The material used on the ear pads is a soft cushion like material so the ear pads are soft.   I find that after some time they can get irritating as the drivers touch the edge of my ear.     As...