Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-A9X › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-A9X Reviews

AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-A9X Reviews

Bagheera

Audio-Technica ATH-A9X: An Old Legend!

Pros: Incredible mid-range presentation, gentle treble presentation, tight snappy bass. Intoxicating vocal presentation.

Cons: Weak in the bass, very narrow sound stage.

I count myself fortunate to be an owner of a pair of old Audio-Technica ATH-A9X. These cans were once a legend of their own, and I feel they deserve a proper review (since so few people own them in Europe and the United States).   The Audio-Technica ATH-A9X was a part of the first-generation "Art Monitor" headphone series that surfaced during the mid-90's (it was produced between 1997-2002), and the direct precursor to the famous ATH-A900 (which I unfortunately never owned).  As such, I cannot do a direct comparison between the A9X and its younger sibling, the A900 - however, I did just order a pair of the newest child in the series, the A900X, and will be happy to do a...