Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-A9X › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-A9X Reviews

AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-A9X Reviews

Bagheera

Audio-Technica ATH-A9X: A Vocalist's Friend.

Pros: Intoxicatingly sweet mid-range, nicely backed by a full and well-controlled upper/mid bass and a non-intrusive treble.

Cons: Rolled off treble and bass. Small sound stage. Not very resolving compared to modern cans.

I am the fortunate owner of a fairly rare pair of headphone: The Audio Technica ATH-A9X. It is the precursor to the highly popular and successful ATH-A900, and I feel they deserve a proper review (since so few people own them outside of Asia).   The Audio-Technica ATH-A9X was part of the second-generation "Art Monitor" headphone series that surfaced during the late-90's (it was produced between 1997-2002), alongside its siblings the A5X and A7X. It was preceded by the first-generation ATH-A9 (introduced in 1994) and succeded by the ATH-A900.  I do not own a ATH-A900, though I do own the the newest incarnation in the series - the ATH-A900X, and I'll be happy to do a brief...