Audio-gd Master 9

staalf

Pros: Very neutral

Cons: Not found

Coming from Tascam US-144 to Audio GD .. Here is the story.

A few years ago I discovered the magic world of listening to headphones. The reason for that is the ease of computer hifi.

I started with a Sennheiser HD650 and a Tascam US144 and was a happy man.

After a year I decided to buy a Denon D7000 and a Violectric V200. What a wunderful combo :bigsmile_face:

I like to review the new Audio GD Master 9 headphone/preamp, but here is the other stuff first.

Computer with Windows 7. Foobar 2000 wasapi event style. I use the following VST. For testing the 112db redline preamp and I bought the TB Isone plugin.
I use Sommercable Epilogue XLR cable and Apgee Wyde Eye S/PDIF Cable. The powercords are from Supra.

The hardware is a Audio-GD Reference 7 DAC + USB / Coaxial and a Master 9. The headphone is still a Denon D7000.

The Master 9 came new to me a few days ago and was very well packaged. It was sealed with tape and I opened the box with care. Because it is very cold in the Netherlands I waited two hard hours to connect the equipment and started listening. First impression (cold) was that it was already a bit better than my Violectric V200. I disconnected my V200 and used the Master 9 a few days.

I discovered that it took a whole day to reach its current temperature.

Saterday I connected the V200 again and Sunday I started listening to the differences. Be ware, this is my opion.

The Master 9 is in almost all possible definitions a winner!

I very much much like the speed of the amp. Listen to a base drum and you go crazy. Staging is also fantastic. Abolutely no match for the V200.

The thing is however that I possibly reached the maximum quality of the Denon D7000. The mid for me is a little to pronounced to my liking and the reality of instruments is a bit off. I think the Violectric V200 and Denon D7000  are soulmates and I think it is a wunderful combo.

Me however: I think I have to save some money and may be next year go for an Audeze or the liking.

Congrats. I have the Master-6 great amp so I fully concur with your findings.  :)
great... I've got a little Audio GD NFB 10ES2... can't wait till I wind up with the Master 9 and what it's DAC <.< lol
thank you for your thoughts....I find the Master 9 intriguing
You say that Master 9 is better from V200 but you kind of prefer the V200 with the Denon 7000.
Probably the Ref7 + Master 9 combo is too neutral for your taste, regardless of the headphone.

I think that neutral is the thing I am looking for. I have heard live jazz a lot and the Denon is not real enough for me. It colors music. For many people that is a good thing however! I have read this article from jonstatt http://www.head-fi.org/t/630446/sennheiser-hd800-vs-audeze-lcd-2-rev-2-vs-denon-d7000-a-pianists-review and he gave me food for thought :-)