Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Audinst HUD-mini › Audinst HUD-mini Reviews

Audinst HUD-mini Reviews

vaibhavp

Nice entry level product, brings considerable boost to sound quality vs price paid

Pros: Affordable, full sounding instruments, compact

Cons: overall none

I am new to headfi and i apologise if review is not very helpful.   This entry level dac-amp is quiet a deal from audinst.   Disclaimer: I am currently building my rig and have only entry level models, Sennheiser HD448, Audio Technica WS55 to evaluate this amp. I will update this review after using much better cans with it (will probably start a thread as am confused).   As one might expect, entry level cans sound almost same regardless source quality. As I found out, this is simply not the case with HD448 and ATH WS55 that I mentioned above. Am using lossless from my laptop to this amp via USB.   I would rather not comment on its sound signature as this is my...
Quadpatch

Mini Magic

Pros: Small, has both headphone connection sizes, nice volume control, RCA line-output , switchable op-amps

Cons: ... not much... weird flashing light... not much else at this price.

I just finished writing about the HUD-Mini for my blog, I will paste it in here for easier viewing. Enjoy :)     The HUD-Mini is Audinst's second ever combined DAC & headphone amplifier. The relatively new Korean company may be unheard of in traditional hifi circles but for afordable USB audio their first ever DAC/amp (the HUD-MX1) has made quite an impression.  As the name suggests this new model is smaller than their first. Apart from the size the main external change is the lack of a mains power connection. Internally the DAC chip has been changed to the PCM1791a (the HUD-MX1 used the Wolfson WM8740). Compared to the HUD-MX1...