Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones Reviews

Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones Reviews

Yoga

Awesome

There are loads of reviews for these great cans, so I'll keep this short. Fantastic.   What you've read about them is true, they're that good :¬)
GeirTj

Are the LCD-2's really that good? Yes they are (Errata).

Pros: Cool design

Cons: Muffled, closed sound with all type of low- and high- quality headamps

Errata 28.April 2012: I have to correct my initial and mainly negative review of my LCD-2. Due to purchase of an Auralic Taurus headamp for balanced drive, I discovered that the cabling (Moon Audio Silver Dragon) must have been wired wrongly. Redoing the whole termination to a balanced (4-pin) XLR contact did the trick and I have to sheepishly follow the herd of Audeze'ers :-P Running the new cabling via another adapter to a regular (non-balanced) 1/4" jack now also sound splendid. But I can truly recommend the Auralic headamp in balanced mode. Way too muffled and closed-in sound for my preference. Yes, they may be a bit more than little warm which can be acceptable but I find them...
Wedge

My favorite headphones

Pros: Planar Magnetics for your ears! Wonderful natural sound!

Cons: Adjusment Block

I just thought that I would add to the review list.  I really like these headphones a lot.  They are my favorite of the headphones I own or have heard so far.  Particularly I love the natural sound that they give, this is the best that I have heard from a headphone yet.  When paired with a slightly lush, and dynamic amp this provides me optimal listening pleasure.  Others have written up more thorough reviews so I'll keep mine short and sweet, I love these headphones and I would recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to own a bright phone.
NA Blur

Clash of the Titans: LCD-2 Leviathan

Pros: Sound Quality, Impedance, Bass Impact, Fit

Cons: Weight, Size, Rolled Off Highs

May Your Next Set be the LCD-2   If you slap two enormous earcups onto a thin headband you start to approach just how large the LCD-2's are. After all not every phone out there gives you greater than "6 square inches of active driver space". The picture really does not tell the whole story.   I was a little hesitant to try them when Tyll Hertsens handed them to me. I really was a bit shy of such a ridiculously sized phone. So I started with some HE 6's ended up being a beast to drive. At a mere 83.5 dB sensitivity it is no wonder why you have to turn your amp up to 70% volume to start to get the full sound of the HE 6. I quickly moved onto some...
grokit

Another LCD-2 Review

Pros: Excellent dynamics, instrument placement, resolution, speed and texture, easy to drive yet scales up nicely with the source and amplifier used

Cons: A bit heavy, headband foam could use some work and the clamping feels tight, especially with eyeglasses

To me the Audeze LCD-2 has a very full sound; they are the closest thing to what well-placed, full-range speakers would sound like if they were put on my head. Everything is there, with plenty of detail and perfect placement. They are extremely well-balanced, and quite agile. Hypnotic even. Also effortless, like you would expect a planar to be. The LCD-2 is both subtle and overwhelming, like attending a live symphony for the first time. Physically, the LCD-2 is a very substantial headphone. They do feel a bit heavy at first, but their weight quickly becomes unnoticeable. By the second listen they did not seem heavy at all to me. As far as the foam padding for the headband goes, it was...
dyl1dyl

Rev 2s versus Rev 1s

Pros: Soundstage is great, mids are beautiful, impactful bass, smooth unfatiguing highs, beautiful box

Cons: Not the last word in comfort

Just got my rev 2s a few weeks ago. After pretty extensive comparison with my previous rev 1s, I prefer the rev 2s for almost any music. The overall fidelity is just slightly better and the upper mids and treble, slightly more pronounced, though imo a bit of midrange density is sacrificed. What makes me prefer the rev2s is the soundstage more than anything else. In the rev1s, I really disliked the sound stage as I found it to be really disjointed, presenting sound in three columns, left, centre and right with "walls" between each column. In the new rev 2s, while the soundstage is not expansive like a hd800, it is a very nice, coherent semicircle presented in front of the...
Fatmangolf

Audez'e LCD-2 review

Pros: Great sound and distinctive looks

Cons: Top quality is expensive

These were recommended by local dealer HifiSound who had just received his first order of LCD-2's. I compared them to Grado RS1 and other headphones in my price range in the UK.   Love the deep and punchy bass, it is full but tight with no sign of the one note bass in other phones.   The midrange and treble are very clear and sound natural. Strings, percussion, guitars and vocals are all clear.   They are heavy but quite comfortable for me. I could and do listen for ages because the sound is really relaxing and musical.
Pale Rider

Excellent planar headphones

Pros: Natural sound, excellent transients, smooth treble, no sibilance. Midrange unbelievable

Cons: Somewhat soft in detail, bass not as tightly controlled as Senn 800s.

This is purely preliminary, as I have owned the LCD-2s for only a few days, and I am not yet running them on my rig of choice.   Equipment   I am using a 2008 Mac mini running OS X 10.6.7 for playback. Primary playback is through Fidelia, with some secondary listening on Pure Music. All files are lossless ALAC or uncompressed AIFF files. Most files are iTrax 96/24, Linn 192/24, HD Tracks hi-res, or DVD-Audio tracks [specific discs listened to more than once noted below]. Signal out is USB into an Audiophileo Model 1, into a PS Audio DL III DAC w/ Cullen IV Mods, running balanced into an RSA Apache. Plenty of quality cable, too,    My LCD-2s have the stock...
sperandeo

Me and my L's

Pros: Sound

Cons: none

These headphones will make you smile and shake your head in disbelief. To get this kind of sound with a home stereo you would have to spend tens of thousands.
Currawong

Possibly the King of Dynamics, if you have gear to match.

Pros: Remarkable performance on another level altogether, both measurably and audibly..

Cons: Heavy headphones and cable, needs a powerful, fast amp and top source for best results and there's a 2-month waiting list.

While they are usable out of even an iPod, as well as the lowly amps I have tested, out of high-end gear they give a remarkable presentation that eclipses that of just about any other headphone, both measurably and subjectively.     While the HD-800s were supposed to be the ultimate headphone and do measure incredibly well, sonically it always seems that, to get the most musical enjoyment out of them requires extra work or compromise, whether it be a re-cable, a slightly warm-of-neutral amp or whatever.   If there are compromises with the LCD-2s, then they are in the weight, somewhat tight initial clamping and initially stiff pads.  If these things, ultimately don't turn out to...