Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones › Reviews › AncientSound's Review

Finally, pure heavenly sound

A Review On: Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones

Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones

Amazon.com
AncientSound

Pros: The tone just sounds right, period. They are very comfortable to me. I am very treble sensitive, and the tone on these is simply perfect, makes my soul happy.

Cons: There aren't any. Yeah sure the larger size may be uncomfortable if you have a small head the size of a little kid, but really these are perfectly designed.

I have tried dozens of headphone setups. I am actually quite upset it took me so long and so many thousands of dollars wasted before I found the LCD-2.

The main reason I feel obligated to write a positive review is for this reason, I wish I had known years ago. There are simply far too many expensive crappy headphones out there to waste money on. I think the whole 'headphone' community or whatever should try and do more to point the broader public away from all the expensive crappy headphones. Yeah sure I know there may be like some weird person out there that actually likes them, but they are a waste of money. The broader public needs to know that actually good sounding expensive headphones like LCD-2 *are* worth the investment.

The tonal balance and bass response is simply perfect for any application. I have an ALO mk3 and a hifiman usb dac. Both sound incredible.

The LCD-2's really shine the most for me when I play 24 bit music. I am not that technically educated to understand all of the engineering reasons behind why this the case. But simply playing 24 bit files with the LCD-2's is simply heaven not only for my ears, but for my body. It literally sends shivers up my spine. THIS is the sound I have been looking for my whole life, period. THIS is the way recorded music should sound. No, I do not think it is just me. I really do think there is a universal 'good' sound. I really do think the majority of headphones, even expensive ones, sound like garbage with bad tones. I do not think the amp really is all that important as long as it is powerful enough. I think the 24 bit music is more important. Oh man, there is a headphone god! I bow down before you!

Most headphones = sound reproduction hurts my ears

LCD-2 = sound reproduction makes love to my ears like life is new every time! I'm serious, it is that good. I would spend over $5,000 on these headphones.

Make sure you break them in at least 100 hours in my opinion. The stock cables did not sound very good to me. I purchased ALO's Green Line cables which amazingly improved the sound, depth, and bass response. The guy at ALO said the silver minicable gives less bass, so I went with a copper minicable. The cables really are very important and worth the expense. I want to marry the LCD-2's!

Last sentence made ma laugh :)
Lol. Didn't list DIY style look as a con?
"Yeah sure the larger size may be uncomfortable if you have a small head the size of a little kid". That's really not true and slightly insulting. I sold these headphones due to comfort issues and I have an adult sized head.