Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones › Reviews › othrondir's Review

The finest headphones I've heard

A Review On: Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones

Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones

Amazon.com
othrondir

Pros: Incredibly detailed yet smooth sound

Cons: hilariously massive, reveals mixing flaws in some of my favorite music

I visited 32 ohm audio in portland specifically to audition all of my candidate cans: the 800s, 650s, the LCD-2s and the T1s. I didn't get to listen to T1s, I did get to listen to T5s.

I'm using one of the early 32ohm cables for the LCD-2s. In order of preference:

LCD-2s: bought them. Incredible. Unbelievable detail but balanced across the range. Nothing is over (or under) represented. Normally sibilant voices (ssssssssss) sound great in these cans. The 800s accentuate sibilant voices unpleasantly. Not so with these. Worst thing I can say about them is they're a bit heavy and the foam (FOAM?) on the headband is stupid. It will wear away.

650s: damn good headphone for the money. If the LCD2s didn't exist I would have bought these.

T1s: meh. music didn't feel as pushed up into the highs like the 800s but these just didn't have any magic. Basically mediocre 800s.

800s: horrible treble. music sounded as if it had been pushed up into the treble range. by far the most comfortable I tried because they weighed next to nothing and had huge ear cups. I preferred the sound of the 650s

Bought a musicbox because I wanted to be able to drive speakers with the same amp and I wanted all the inputs including iCrap. That, and it sounded wonderful with these.

The combination of the musicbox and the LCD-2s is ideal, and worth every penny.

Comments: