Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones › Reviews › shawn_low's Review

LCD2: They look great but comfort? Lacking.

A Review On: Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones

Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones

shawn_low

Pros: Looks fantastic.

Cons: Comfort level is low and cable is stiff. Needs good pairing.

OK, this is a quick placeholder review.

I didn't have more than a couple of hours with these and they were sitting in good company.

Dac was a Metric Halo ULN2.

Stax O2 out of an exstata.

HD800 out of a B22 and SPL Auditor.

First off, the LCD2 comfort level was AWFUL! It's stiff and clamps onto my average-sized head with such force I had to continually adjust it. I couldn't listen to it for more than 5 to 10 minutes. Such was the level of pain it inflicted on the side of my head.

The O2 and HD800 were spades ahead in comfort-level.

The LCD2 cable, a starquad cable (a microphone cable I believe) was stiff and just got in the way.

Sound is arguably the most important factor but in this case ultimately moot because I won't put use them no matter how good it sounds...I'll end up with a headache.

On the B22 and SPL Auditor, the LCD2 were sluggish, veiled, dark and had a recessed midrange. It just sounded terrible. I really wanted to like them.

Surprisingly, jacked into...wait for this...an RSA Predator (as a DAC and headamp), the sound signature completely changed. The veil disappeared and things were clearer. Out of a Cavelli CTH hybrid?. Similar results. Just clear.

But soundstaging was small compared with the O2 and HD800.

I would have listened more but couldn't bear to have them on my head. Perhaps that will change with time but for now, I'll pass.

Seems like these are 'flavour of the month' on HF. Let's see if they have the chops to survive the long haul.

Said owner of the LCD2 (not me) has already gone on a hunt for an amp to pair with these.

Potential buyers should thus take note of two things:

1) Comfort.

2) Needs to be paired with a matching amp. Your high-end amp might disappoint. Solid state high-end amps such as the B22 and midrange-ish Auditor didn't do well.

Comments: