I am a complete piker and a novice, but I love it

A Review On: ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles

ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles

Rated # 8 in Sound Cards
Quality
Klaatu

Pros: Marked improvement even with my limited speakers

Cons: Heinous drivers. Now the majority of my music is recorded at far too low of a bit rate and sounds awful

First and foremost, I'm relatively new to this whole audiophile thing. I use Klipsch iFi speakers (which as I understand it are more "MidFi" than "HiFi") and a set of Grado SR80 cans. For the moment, all of this is perfectly adequate for my inexperienced ears, but it's a good bet I'll outgrow them.

After installation, which I might ad was actually relatively painless being as I just dropped the card in my system, installed an OS, and downloaded and installed the drivers off the ASUS site, and a bit of rigamarole plugging in the speakers (I didn't know I was supposed to use the RCA to 1/8" adapter) I was off and running.

I was hearing nuances and details that I'd never heard from my speakers. It was like having a completely new rig!

All in all, I heartily recommend this soundcard for anyone that wants a richer, more detailed audio experience.

Comments: