Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Sound Cards › ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles › ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles Reviews

ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles Reviews

Vartan

My experience, tips and tricks

Pros: Sound quality, Takes power direct from PSU, Swappable op-amps, Build quality

Cons: DRIVER, Headphone output sound quality

So first of all, for people who are saying that they are hearing noise from outputs. The only noise I hear from the card is from HP out, when sample rate is set to 44.1 Khz.  What can be the reason of the noise and how to prevent it:  1. Don't use video cards. Use only integrated video. 2. Before buying a PSU read some reviews about ripple and noise tests, voltage regulator circuit ... (I even use ferrite filter on the molex end). 3. Don't use many fans in the case. The fan motor generates noise. Or if you want to use many fans then you should buy fan filters (I'm using only 4 fans: CPU, PSU, intake and outtake) 4. Try to avoid using many HDDs, instead try SSD or...
RushNerd

Not much to say, just very impressed

Pros: Brilliant design and sound quality. Possibly the best consumer sound card there is.

Cons: Too awesome?

I owned the HT Omega Claro Halo card a week before this, mostly for the headphone amp. I RMA'd it for this one and WOW am I glad I did. Even though they use the same hardware, the headphone amp on this one is at least twice as loud. It powers my cans almost as loud as I would want them too, it does a amazing job. This is a extremely good choice for headphones and replaces the need for more expensive equipment!
Klaatu

I am a complete piker and a novice, but I love it

Pros: Marked improvement even with my limited speakers

Cons: Heinous drivers. Now the majority of my music is recorded at far too low of a bit rate and sounds awful

First and foremost, I'm relatively new to this whole audiophile thing. I use Klipsch iFi speakers (which as I understand it are more "MidFi" than "HiFi") and a set of Grado SR80 cans. For the moment, all of this is perfectly adequate for my inexperienced ears, but it's a good bet I'll outgrow them.   After installation, which I might ad was actually relatively painless being as I just dropped the card in my system, installed an OS, and downloaded and installed the drivers off the ASUS site, and a bit of rigamarole plugging in the speakers (I didn't know I was supposed to use the RCA to 1/8" adapter) I was off and running.   I was hearing nuances and details that I'd...