Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Sound Cards › ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles

ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles

Rated #7 in Sound Cards

Pros: Brilliant design and sound quality. Possibly the best consumer sound card there is.

Cons: Too awesome?

I owned the HT Omega Claro Halo card a week before this, mostly for the headphone amp. I RMA'd it for this one and WOW am I glad I did. Even though they use the same hardware, the headphone amp on this one is at least twice as loud. It powers my cans almost as loud as I would want them too, it does a amazing job.

This is a extremely good choice for headphones and replaces the need for more expensive equipment!

Pros: Marked improvement even with my limited speakers

Cons: Heinous drivers. Now the majority of my music is recorded at far too low of a bit rate and sounds awful

First and foremost, I'm relatively new to this whole audiophile thing. I use Klipsch iFi speakers (which as I understand it are more "MidFi" than "HiFi") and a set of Grado SR80 cans. For the moment, all of this is perfectly adequate for my inexperienced ears, but it's a good bet I'll outgrow them.

After installation, which I might ad was actually relatively painless being as I just dropped the card in my system, installed an OS, and downloaded and installed the drivers off the ASUS site, and a bit of rigamarole plugging in the speakers (I didn't know I was supposed to use the RCA to 1/8" adapter) I was off and running.

I was hearing nuances and details that I'd never heard from my speakers. It was like having a completely new rig!

All in all, I heartily recommend this soundcard for anyone that wants a richer, more detailed audio experience.

ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles
By:

ASUS' Xonar Essence ST audio card with world's first precision audio clock tuning offers a revolutionary listening experience. In its search for the purest essence of sound, ASUS have broken the boundaries with the soundcard on the market, the Xonar Essence ST. This PCI card is the world's first audio card to incorporate precision clock tuning to minimize audio jitter, bringing the user a clearer, crisper listening experience. The Xonar Essence ST is capable of achieving an industry-leading 124dB SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) in signal clarity and offers a built-in headphone amplifier to obtain the best performance out of any available pair of headphones. Thanks to ASUS' exclusive Hyper-grounding and EMI Shield design, even the most demanding audiophile will be satisfied with the unprecedented sound quality. Specifications - Device Type - Sound card Enclosure Type - Plug-in card Interface Type - PCI Signal Processor - ASUS AV100 Sound Output Mode - Stereo DAC Data Width - 24-bit Sample Rate - 44.1 kHz (min) - 192 kHz (max) Signal-To-Noise Ratio - 124 dB Response Bandwidth - 10 - 90000 Hz Features - Karaoke, built-in Dolby Pro Logic II decoder, Dolby Headphone technology, Dolby Virtual Speaker technology, Magic Voice, Smart Volume Normalizer, FlexBass, Xear 3D Virtual Speaker Shifter, VocalFX Compliant Standards - DirectSound, A3D 1.0, OpenAL, Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Virtual Speaker, Dolby Headphone, DirectSound3D GX 2.5, Dolby Pro Logic II Audio Modes - Playback - 24-bit 192 kHz - 124 dB; Record - 24-bit 192 kHz - 118 dB Interfaces - 1 x audio - line-out - RCA x 2, 1 x headphones - output, 1 x audio - line-in/microphone, 1 x audio - line-in - 4 pin MPC, 1 x audio - SPDIF output - RCA Compatible Slots - 1 x PCI Operation System - Windows Vista/XP(32/64bit)/MCE2005

BindingAccessory
BrandAsus
EAN4719543042694
FeatureCustomize your sound color effortlessly via swappable OPAmp socket
Height2.36 inches