Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Portable Source Components › Digital Audio (FLAC/MP3/etc) Players (DAPs) › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player Reviews

Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player Reviews

MacedonianHero

Overall, while not cheap by any means, I think the AK100 II offers outstanding value as it rivals some of the better and more costly desktop rigs (wit

Pros: The neutral and open sound signature of the AK100 II will grab your attention and never let go while you’re on the go.

Cons: Not cheap, no USB DAC functionality for Macs.

Astell & Kern AK100 II: Portable Pleasure   So I have a confession to make: I’m a DAP “noob”. I’ve basically been old school with my on-the-go Hi-Fi, using iDevices and a third party amp (HeadAmp Pico, RSA Audio Hornet, et cetera…) or even an Amp/DAC combo like the Beyerdynamic A200p. Then I tried the Astell & Kern AK100 II. While I’ve heard some lower priced DAPs, I’ve never felt the need to reach outside my iDevice/external amp setup. That is of course until I got to review the AK100 II. Astell & Kern is a division of iRiver and based out of South Korea. The company offers three high end Digital Audio Players (DAP): the AK100 II, AK120 II and their flagship, the...
musikaladin

Finally a mobile system that really fulfils my expectations

Pros: Amazing sound, usability and design in a single package

Cons: Accepts “only” one Micro SD card

Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able to really enjoy that playground.   After the rise of CDs in the early 80s I started to examine the options with Sony’s SACD as soon as it became available on the consumer market. And to a certain degree I still use SACD. Namely the SACD plugin (…or “add-on” or whatever…) for foobar2000 to play DSD via my ifi micro iDSD.   Concerning portable high res, earlier I “played” around with the AK100 (MK 1, the one with the rather high output impedance), I own a FiiO X5 and I had a loaner...
CasperBxl

GREAT DAP, compact, feature rich, open sound stage, very precise

Pros: Great sound, Compact, Feature rich, great UI

Cons: Sync Software would be great

I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack.   Alternate setup:     Samsung Galaxy S5     FIIO E18     + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to Media Devices, BubbleUPNP (Cost: 3.49€)   Sound Quality for this setup is GREAT. Love the E18 and its performance and great sound.     I had bought the E18 so I could combine good music and being on the go with 1 "device". After a couple of weeks, I found that a phone based stack is a bit cumbersome and not very handy.   So, after snooping though the forums for ages, reading up on features, sound, etc I saw that Astell...