Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Portable Source Components › Digital Audio (FLAC/MP3/etc) Players (DAPs) › Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4th Generation) NEWEST MODEL

Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4th Generation) NEWEST MODEL

Pros: Great interface, good battery life, wi-fi + blue-tooth, adjustable EQ through app add-on!, good SQ (with app eq)

Cons: No built in adjuatable EQ, tied to iTunes

Was given this through a reward scheme - and after using a Cowon iAudio7 as my main portable source - I was really interested to see how it performed.  I'm using Shure SE420 IEM's.

After converting my FLAC collection to ALAC - I loaded it up via iTunes, and then ran it through it's paces.  First impressions - really easy to use (intuitive), fun to play with, but definitely did not sound as good as my Cowon.  It just wasn't as lively or warm.  Disclaimer though - I do use a touch of EQ and also BBE on the Cowon.  Had a look at the built in Touch EQ presets - but the options were terrible.

After playing with it for a couple of days - I'd almost decided to sell it and buy a J3 instead.  I'm really glad I waited!

After reading a thread on head-fi, I found out about a wonderful add-on app called "Equalizer" (thank you Achmedisdead - owe you big-big).  Installed it - adjusted a few settings - and what a difference!  My music sounds fantastic (to me) - and I now have complete manual EQ control.  It now sounds as good as the Cowon to me + I have a much nicer interface (than the iAudio7) + the bonus of access to apps, wi-fi etc.

I also used the bluetooth to pair the Touch to my car stereo.  It sounds really, really good - and this with no EQ at all.  So my next trial will be to get a LOD, and pair this with an E7.  I have high hopes for even more improvement.

I've never really been an Apple fan - but can honestly say that with the Equalizer application, the Touch turns into a really great player.  I would recommend it to others - but definitely get the Equalizer app - it makes all the difference.

Pros: Versatile, small

Cons: Battery life

Great device. It does so many things thanks to the app market. I wish it was thicker and that the battery filled up that extra space. A single device for movies, music, and books/comics.

Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4th Generation) NEWEST MODEL