Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Portable Source Components › Digital Audio (FLAC/MP3/etc) Players (DAPs) › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL Reviews

Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL Reviews

Showing 5 3-star reviews (see all 19 reviews)

Deki

Get the iPod 5.5 gen instead (or Sansa)

Pros: Great build quality

Cons: Cirrus audio chip, iOS, bad EQ.

i got this from a friend of mine for free becuase he had just gotten an iphone 4s (hes not an audiophile) so he gave me this. I was gratefull ofcourse and i decided to try it out instead of my sansa. the sansa wins easily, the ipod sounds meh, not very accurate and the bass is uneven/rumbly. i then traded this for an ipod 5.5 which i rockboxed later on and now i am happy.
fluffyberry

average...in a good way

Pros: battery life, support for wide range of file types, storage space for everything

Cons: not the best sound quality, scratches easily, chunky, dont bother with the EQ

Just some background stuff before the review...this is the second source i have owned dedicated to music (i.e not listening to music off my iphone) so i don't have much experience with high end sources. all impressions were formed listening to 320kbps mp3 or lossless rips on the eytomic hf5s unamped across a wide range of music genres, so here goes.   i bought this after reading through a bunch of reviews on headfi and have been using it for quite some time, switching between this and my old iphone 4, which i pretty much use only for music and videos, and (very occasionally) my galaxy ace 3, so there will be some comparisons where i can provide them.   Build: the first...
thermal666

Great for Storage, not so great on uncompressed audio

Pros: Masive Storage

Cons: The anti-skip protection that caches the audio doesn't work well with uncompressed audio formats

The iPod is great to store your audio and obviously works fantastically with iTunes, however it does seem to skip tracks randomly and doesn't handle 48Khz/16bit WAV files very well, almost skipping at least 1 out of 3 tracks. This is apparently due to the anti skip protection cache not having enough memory to store the uncompressed data in.
zinornia

One Huge Problem

Pros: Amazing Sound, Holds a **** load of music, Looks very cool,

Cons: Expensive, Syncing Problems

Right, so this has an incredible sound quality (with the right headphones, even better). I really love the way it looks, and I can fit thousands of my music on it. But it has a pretty huge problem that seems to be very common upon these iPods. So the problem lies with syncing, the very first time I synced, it worked, everything got on there fine. The next time however? It seemed to be working, it said syncing song blablabla out of blablabla, and then it finished. I disconnected my iPod from the USB, and turning it on I noticed that I had no music whatsoever. Every time I want to sync, I have to uninstall iTunes, and then install it again. But, I still love this thing even if it annoys...
Ruzhyo

Slow and noisy

Pros: large harddisk

Cons: Noisy HD, slow interface, hangs

Not as good as previous 80GB 5.5gen   Slow to search, loud hard disk, slow user interface, always 2seconds behind.  Hangs often.