Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Portable Source Components › Digital Audio (FLAC/MP3/etc) Players (DAPs) › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL

Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL

Pros: Line out, Capacity, Rockbox (and therefore native .FLAC support), Ruler-flat frequency response, battery.

It's exactly what it says it is. I've tried some great looking, incredibly expensive DAPs - Honestly, in my opinion, a lot of them just add colouration, or EQ, or look pretty. Some of them do perform well, but fall short in many areas.

If you just want your music files to be reproduced exactly as they were mastered, with a line-out to pipe your music into any amplification you might require.. Get this device.

Pinpoint accurate, to points that are far beyond the limits of human hearing. Adds no colouration, and Rockbox has fantastic EQ and crossfeed options if you want, not to mention .FLAC playback.

A lot of people will hate on this device because it is mass-produced, and loved by the general population.. If you're thinking about an expensive portable DAP, just be wary of what you're buying.

When you spend hundreds more, on a DAP that has less battery, capacity, playback options or general functionality, ask yourself - why not spend the money on headphones that will make a significant difference?

My personal model is the black model, not silver. The only difference is the exterior colour. I've also put a vinyl skin on it, and installed Rockbox custom firmware.

Pros: Great build quality

Cons: Cirrus audio chip, iOS, bad EQ.

i got this from a friend of mine for free becuase he had just gotten an iphone 4s (hes not an audiophile) so he gave me this. I was gratefull ofcourse and i decided to try it out instead of my sansa. the sansa wins easily, the ipod sounds meh, not very accurate and the bass is uneven/rumbly. i then traded this for an ipod 5.5 which i rockboxed later on and now i am happy.

Pros: Easy to use, very large capacity

Cons: Inbuilt DAC is good but compromise

Brilliant for sheer storage size but it fills up quickly if you like videos, or have a lot of music at high bitrates or lossless. It's an iPod so the interface is easy.

Sound great for trains and other mobile use, worth pairing up with decent in ears to get some isolation and reduce the sound levels for sustained listening.

For stereo/hifi or in-house use buy a dock or cable that plugs into the bottom. The internal DAC is pretty good but is a compromise that is quite reasonable in such a small device. It gives pretty decent stereo rather than hifi - this becomes more apparent when you've heard an iPod through a digital dock and DAC, like the NS-D1 or the Wadia. For lossless and high bitrate music, this gives very good quality sound from a portable convenient device.

Note the limitation to 48kHz although it seems to play 24 bit files. And it won't play WMA or FLAC as most people know already.

Pros: Masive Storage

Cons: The anti-skip protection that caches the audio doesn't work well with uncompressed audio formats

The iPod is great to store your audio and obviously works fantastically with iTunes, however it does seem to skip tracks randomly and doesn't handle 48Khz/16bit WAV files very well, almost skipping at least 1 out of 3 tracks. This is apparently due to the anti skip protection cache not having enough memory to store the uncompressed data in.

Pros: Durability, Storage, Battery Life, Sound Quality, Interface

Cons: Contains Cirrus® Technology

The two main features of this portable player that stole my attention are the battery life (a single charge will last me all week) and the amount of storage you get (160 GB). Even though this iPod contains a Cirrus chip, it still sounds great with a pair of decent headphones.

As far as the iPod brand goes, my last iPod I purchased in 2004 and still works today.

This is the "Nokia" of media players!

If you are going to be using this on your home-based Hi-Fi I recommend buying the universal dock bundle. The built-in DAC does a good job for on-the-go listening, however if you're looking to include its use in your home system, invest in the dock, you won't be disappointed!

I also recommend buying a case to keep the iPod in when not in use.

Dock bundle link:

Pros: everthing

Cons: none

got to love it.this isn't my only iPod I purchased. ive had ipod 15,30, I bought it for its large hard drive.

I didn't stil fill it yet. I have bought many headphones for my ipod 160. it got real expensive. I finally .found just the right headphones. skull candy aviators

they are a marriage made in heaven. .

Pros: 160 f***ing gigabytes!!Durable,Good Build quality

Cons: Bad EQ

Good player but the EQ isnt so good...

Pros: Good capacity,

Cons: iTunes is an absolutely horrible program, laggy interface, noisy HD, bad equaliser, can't play flac, scratched far too easily,

Battery doesn't last 36 hours like it says.

Pros: Amazing Sound, Holds a **** load of music, Looks very cool,

Cons: Expensive, Syncing Problems

Right, so this has an incredible sound quality (with the right headphones, even better). I really love the way it looks, and I can fit thousands of my music on it. But it has a pretty huge problem that seems to be very common upon these iPods. So the problem lies with syncing, the very first time I synced, it worked, everything got on there fine. The next time however? It seemed to be working, it said syncing song blablabla out of blablabla, and then it finished. I disconnected my iPod from the USB, and turning it on I noticed that I had no music whatsoever. Every time I want to sync, I have to uninstall iTunes, and then install it again.

But, I still love this thing even if it annoys the hell out of me once in a while.

Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL

BindingElectronics
BrandApple
ColorSilver
EAN0885909340934
FeatureSupports H.264 and MPEG-4 video formats; JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PSD (Mac only), and PNG image formats
Height4.1 inches