Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Portable Source Components › Digital Audio (FLAC/MP3/etc) Players (DAPs) › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL

Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL

Pros: Bulid Quality, UI, Powered by Itunes

Cons: average SQ (maybe less than average), do not support FLAC, APE, very bad EQ

If you can't stand some DAP without a decent UI, Ipod Classic will the best choice for you.

Powered by Itunes, Classic might be an unmatched DAP and also the most popular one.

However, some fatal cons make it (without amps) stay out of Hifi area

For a single DAP 5 stars,

For a hifi DAP only 3 stars

So average scores will be 4

Pros: good build quality, good looking, large capacity, click wheel, user-friendly

Cons: don't support flac

I was looking a player to replace my imod 5.5 (ipod video 5.5 modded), as it only has 3 hours battery life. Because I love the click wheel design and I have loads of songs, I bought an ipod classic. It's thinner and lighter than my imod5.5. However, the sound quality is worse than the previous generation. The previous generation are using wolfson's dac which is way better than the cirrus logic's dac(dac that is using in ipod classic). I felt disappointed in it. In addition, this ipod classic cannot be rockboxed. The sound is quite flat and neutral.

Pros: Size, capacity, style, ease, durable

Cons: itunes, no real eq, no raido / mic

Got this from a pawn shop in the hood. Prob stolen and sold to buy drugs which clearly adds value.

My last one died slowly from dropping upwards of 50 times, i got myself a SEXY hard case and some sennheiser cx680i headphones for the gym, and a FiiO E5 amp. Thing is wonderful

Ill add pics to show my case!

Pros: sound quality, built, size, capacity

Cons: no built-in mike, no radio, no customizable EQ, no audio cables included

First off: I’m coming from a Creative Zen Vision M 60 GB which very unfortunately died on me.

I was very satisfied with this gismo. Sadly they don’t make them anymore, otherwise I would have bought a new one.

Considering all things I find important, only the IPod Classic would do.

This fine machine ticks most of the boxes: large capacity, excellent sound quality, no touch screen, storing of pictures and movies. The things I miss, compared to the Zen, are a customizable equaliser (so I can match different headphones better), a built-in mike, a programmable function knob and a radio. The thing I hated most was the necessity of ITunes. Fortunately, some genius made a plug-in for Winamp, my favourite player, and the IPod now synchronises perfectly without ITunes.

You see, I had to part with some nice features when I chose the IPod classic, but rather surprisingly, I gained sound quality. When I decided on the Zen a few years back, one very important reason was the SQ. Or I didn’t audition very well at that time, or this new IPod just has better sound than his predecessors.

Conclusion:

It took some getting used to, but this is a very fine machine. Most other IPods wouldn’t do because of the touch screen. I often operate the player in the dark (like in bed) and I have to feel the knobs to control it.

I hardly miss a radio (there are other ways);

I sometimes miss a built-in mike, but I know I can get a tack for that;

I found a so-so setting for the eq. that gets me by with one of my cans (on the other ones I don’t use eq)

I gained capacity (160 against 60 GB)

This Pod has a much faster response time when starting up

The sound quality is marvellous for a portable player

It’s not cheap, but the Zen did cost me about the same a few years ago.

For home use, I bought an Onkyo media transport (like a dock) which surpasses the built-in DAC and lets me use the DAC of my Yamaha receiver. This showes the Ipod DAC is very good.

Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL

BindingElectronics
BrandApple
ColorBlack
EAN0885909341320
FeatureHighly recyclable aluminum and stainless steel enclosure
Height4.1 inches