Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic

Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic

Pros: Good, balanced sound. Comfortable. Not isolating. Relatively inexpensive.

Cons: Fall out of the ear easily

I've got 3 pairs of these - two came with iPhones (mic version) and one with an iPod Touch (no mic version).  All sound the same.

The EarPods sound much better than I expected they would, and despite owning many more expensive headphones, these have a regular place in my rotation.

Sound is natural and nicely balanced - very pleasing signature.

For the most part, I use them in the office, where I want to be able to listen to music but also to hear others around me.  My other headphones are either too big and bulky or too isolating.

The only downside for me is that they slip out easily, and falling out halfway on one side leads to very imbalanced audio.  This is the flip side of their superb comfort and fit.

Pros: Great sound, don't isolate too much, good soundstage, incredible bass, clean treble, live mids, fair looks and low price

Cons: Not as durable as predecessor, wire gets smudged pretty quickly

Well.. first review here on Head-fi, so don't fire the bullets at me yet folks ;)

I've been listening to portable gear for over 12 years now and this has given me considerable time to define for myself what I want in a headphone. For my on-the-go setups I've used designs from all over the palette big, small, medium, with - or without - amplification and I've established that what I truly want is something that is light, small, shows a decent amount of frequency table, and DOESN'T isolate. Why no isolation? Well, for me it's a psychological thing, I noticed that wearing my AKG K390 NC in-ear's severed me from my connection to the rest of the world. Yes indeed, I became very introvert and for some reason just felt unheimisch whenever I went out. I started using my Apple earbeans and suddenly realized that I enjoyed that so much more! Now Apple has a HUGE design department and this combined with the fact that the brand was practically synonymous with the word quality always made me think: I get that these earphones are designed with a minimalistic approach but why are they so crap in the sound department?
Well it seems they've been busy developing these all these years. As an audiophile I'm ashamed to admit it but still, going mobile, I've had more fun with these plugged in than all my other headphones (K181, HD 457, PMX60, DT990....) put together. People these phones tackle anything, and not just on the earphone level, but beyond that! They're detailed, but warm; small but noticeable soundstage; they isolate but in the hinging part of a bus I can hear the bass and mids fine. Of course these are not reference class, but they're fun, detailed and I know not of any headphone that can deliver so much for just 30 euro's and comes in such an easy to use, small package! Yes they do only isolate a tat better than the old apple's but that puts them right where I want them.
A small minus is that I just got mine replaced with a new pair due to falling out on the right side. Also, the rubber seals under the phones, above the jack and against the remote deter pretty quickly, even when used with care. Next to this, the wire will take over the color of pretty much anything it touches.

I believe these are sound-wise the best EARphones I've ever heard and with the remote they are so much more preferable to any kind of rig you can attach to your mobile device and for this price and ease of use everyone should own a pair!

Pros: Comfortable, looks good, remote control and mic, overall good audio quality.

Cons: There's absolutely no audio isolation, the price is a little bit high considering the quality in general.

(Sorry for my english, but i'm writing from Italy)
The earphones are not bad, as i say before, they're comfortable with an actractive look and useful with remote control and mic incorporated, the audio quality is pretty good.
I got them in the packaging of the iPod nano, so I've never bought them separately, i like the audio quality considering the price but for that price range i prefer a pair of AKG or Sennheiser, overall there's absolutely no audio isolation, bad trebles and mids but good basses.

For the same price range, there's many better earphones.

Pros: decent bass, present mids, good soundstage

Cons: lack of sub-bass, absolutely no isolation

take what i have to say with a grain of salt. i do not own them, but i merely auditioned them at school.

i was rather skeptical about them at first, but they are not bad. i see their sound sig as something like the monoprice 8320. they have a decent of bass, without being a fart cannon, although it does not extend very well. the mids are good, especially with acoustic guitars, and the highs were present without being too shrill or sibilant. these are no match for a good iem or can, i would even choose my monoprice 8320 iem's over them, but as ear buds go, they are probably the best earbud i have ever listened to.

one thing i thought best to leave until the end, the isolation is completely nonexistent. you will hear everything around you. i found that i had to turn the volume up more than i would like to fight against the background noise i was in, so i would not say there a viable option for me as portables if in a public place. i will still revert back to my 8320 or m50

Pros: Good natural sound quality, no intrusive design

Cons: Poorly fit for some ears

The sound quality is good, overall. It's true improvement over the previous model, as many have claimed. But, there is an ergonomic problem. To find a proper fit position is a rather hard thing for my ears, contrary to many claims. Consequently, the bass sound is attenuated. It's still punchy but the sub-bass is missing. And, while it sounds natural due to balanced high-low, some details are missing (especially from low freq). When I hold the buds to my ears, it is clear that this earphone has lots of bass actually. Maybe the design is intended so that while the bass is plenty, it will not enter our ears entirely due to the loose-position to produce a natural sound. It is quite responsive to headphone amplifier too. When I coupled it to my Graham Slee Voyager, it sounds better and the difference is significant. This is a good thing, I suppose. Now I wonder, will it sound better after several hours burn-in?
Well, the answer is yes, it will. But, the improvement is very subtle. Not every ears will be able to differentiate the burned-in earphone from the new ones. I also realized that the isolation is almost nonexistent. Indeed, I dare to say that there is no isolation at all! I would have given no star on isolation if it was possible. Even the leaky-cauldron iGrado has a little better isolation.

Pros: Good bass, spacious sound and separation.

Cons: They can still fall out of my ears.

Ear Pods are cool.  They sound much better than the old earbuds, because the old earbuds didn't fit me!  Compared to the Meelec M6 the bass is better and the sound is more coherent.  The bass is a little bit louder, but it is also has better impact, as if it's coming from a larger speaker.

Edit:  I am enjoying using the EarPods with foam earbud covers.  Imaging and instrument separation is still far superior to the Meelec M6p.

Bass - With the foam earbud covers applied the bass on these is big and bold.  Sound wise, I really like the "breathier" feel of the vented Apple EarPods for bass response.  The seal and punch of the M6p is uncomfortable for me in comparison.  Additionally, the imaging and separation of bass guitars and drums is far superior to the M6 - the bass instruments are properly positioned in the mix.

Mids - Midrange is delightfully warm and sweet.  Especially when male vocals and electric guitars come out and play.  The sound is captivating, energetic, and clear.  Guitars sound like they are swimming around my head and I can still hear the strike of the pick on the guitar string.  I am hearing background vocals and effects that I have never heard before in the midrange.  Right now I'm listening to "Majesty by Delirious?" and the acoustic guitars sound simply amazing - I can hear every cord change as the fingers slide across the fretboard.  The background choir is lush and seems to be positioned behind the lead singer near the top of the headstage.  Really wonderful mids.

Highs - The treble on the EarPods is slightly recessed when compared to the slight boost in mid-bass and mids.  The treble is still wonderful and non-fatiguing, and even though it is slightly recessed in the mix, the imaging and instrument separation are still present and cymbals still sound like they are next to the drum kit.

Soundstage - The soundstage is the best part of the Apple EarPods!  The size is primarily inside the headstage (meaning my skull :-)); however, on some recordings sounds can appear to be projecting from just outside my ears and this effect can be quite incredible on ambient techno. The soundstage is aided by the great clarity and separation of instruments and sounds.  Instruments sound like they are precisely placed around the inside of the cranium and stereo effects seem to travel in a wide arc across the front or back of the headstage depending on the song.  I really think this "shaping" of stereo effects is what makes the soundstage seem incredible.

Source - The EarPods strengths - mids, separation, clarity; all come out and are much more present when I use my Dell laptop compared to my iPhone.  I guess the laptop must be a more powerful source, so maybe the EarPods would respond well to amping.

Pros: Soundstage

Cons: Isolation

Ok, I'm not going to paste my entire review in here  it's over 4000 words, and quite probably the most comprehensive review ever of a product being delivered as a bundled product, so I'm just going to point at my actual review:

If you want a short TL;DR (Which I can understand, given the length):

• Much better than expected bass - much better than the Nuforce NE-700X, but not quite as good as Senn HD 558 or B&W C6
  • Average detail reproduction: On-par with the Nuforces, but not as good as the Senns or B&W's
  • Sound stage that beats just about any headphone, I've heard, ever!
  • Look elsewhere if isolation is a requirement
  • It's popular to hate Apple, and some other reviews reflect that - but these are worth $29, even as a standalone purchase, provided isolation is not an issue.
Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic
By:

Unlike traditional, circular earbuds, the design of the new Apple EarPods is defined by the geometry of the ear. Which makes them more comfortable for more people than any other earbud-style headphone. The speakers inside Apple EarPods have been engineered to minimize sound loss and maximize sound output. So you get high-quality audio that’s just as impressive as what you’d hear from more expensive headphones. The Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic also include a built-in remote that lets you adjust the volume, control the playback of music and video, and answer or end calls with a pinch of the cord. Highlights Designed by Apple Deeper, richer bass tones Greater protection from sweat and water Control music and video playback Answer and end calls

MicrophoneYes