Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Apogee Duet 2 › Apogee Duet 2 Reviews

Apogee Duet 2 Reviews

Positive Reviews

ChardonnayLogic

Crystal clear.

Pros: Clean, uncolored, precise signal. Ease of use.

Cons: For Macs only. No Parametric EQ in the Maestro software.

I got mine a little over 2 years ago. I got it primarily as an instrument/mic interface. This isn't the place to discuss that but, in that capacity it works great. I have "ripped" A few LPs to my external hd with my Duet 2 at 192 K and couldn't be happier. If you are looking for a professional review of Duet 2; http://kenrockwell.com/audio/apogee/duet-2.htm. After using it to listen to my iTunes collection I couldn't believe my ears. Now I use Neutrino and I couldn't imagine it without my Duet. Drives my K 701 just fine through the 1/4" output. I hate adaptors so the 1/4" stereo output was a must for me. I wouldn't have bought if it had an 1/8" connection.

Negative Reviews

reeltime

DAC is lacking

Pros: Great interface, decent mic pre

Cons: Everything else

I'll make this brief.  Apogee is well known for doing quality interfaces for musicians and engineers.  Their Symphony line is really 2nd to ProTools when it comes to quality.     I purchased the Duet2 to be a way into my system for doing voice overs using its mic pre.  I also wanted a nifty interface for my Avid Symphony editing system feeding my Genelec near-field monitors.  On that front it does what it's supposed to do.     I was hoping it might make a good DAC for listening.  Unfortunately this really doesn't run with the high end equipment.  It raises an interesting point, though.  Most musicians use gear to record the...