Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Apogee Duet 2

Apogee Duet 2

Pros: Clean, uncolored, precise signal. Ease of use.

Cons: For Macs only. No Parametric EQ in the Maestro software.

I got mine a little over 2 years ago. I got it primarily as an instrument/mic interface. This isn't the place to discuss that but, in that capacity it works great. I have "ripped" A few LPs to my external hd with my Duet 2 at 192 K and couldn't be happier. If you are looking for a professional review of Duet 2; http://kenrockwell.com/audio/apogee/duet-2.htm. After using it to listen to my iTunes collection I couldn't believe my ears. Now I use Neutrino and I couldn't imagine it without my Duet. Drives my K 701 just fine through the 1/4" output. I hate adaptors so the 1/4" stereo output was a must for me. I wouldn't have bought if it had an 1/8" connection.

Pros: Great interface, decent mic pre

Cons: Everything else

I'll make this brief.  Apogee is well known for doing quality interfaces for musicians and engineers.  Their Symphony line is really 2nd to ProTools when it comes to quality.

I purchased the Duet2 to be a way into my system for doing voice overs using its mic pre.  I also wanted a nifty interface for my Avid Symphony editing system feeding my Genelec near-field monitors.  On that front it does what it's supposed to do.

I was hoping it might make a good DAC for listening.  Unfortunately this really doesn't run with the high end equipment.  It raises an interesting point, though.  Most musicians use gear to record the music which 'wows' us utilizing technology most of us would deem inferior.

We shove signals through silver headphone cables and the highest end tube gear to reproduce sound which originates through copper cables, cheap guitar pickups and less than perfect recording interfaces. Quite ironic.

The Beatles didn't record on 4 track tape (yes, tape) until the late '60s.  Some of their most complex works were done by playing taped recordings live in the booth and old-fashioned mixing.  Legend has it that Queen, in recording their masterpiece "Bohemian Rhapsody", had recorded so many overdubs on their master that Brian May at one point held the tape up to light and realized they'd nearly worn the tape through.  A quick mix-down to fresh tape saved their work.

So what does this have to do with the Duet2?  Well as a recording interface, it does a decent job.  I've done a lot of vocal and voice over work using this small box, some of which you've probably heard on the airwaves and didn't blink twice.  But on critical playback in my high-end rig,  it sounds like garbage.  It's both noisy and colored.  Irony indeed.

It serves my edit bay just fine.  And the design is snazzy.  Just don't plug it in and expect to hear magic on your Audeze LCDs.

Apogee Duet 2
By:

Hey you! Yeah you, with the Mac! Do you use Logic, Soundtrack Pro, Final Cut, or GarageBand? Are you tired of feeling like a second-class citizen? Well you don't have to take it any more. Thanks to Apogee and Apple's partnership, now you too can enjoy complete audio interface integration into your favorite software. Following in the fame and glory of Apogee's Ensemble and its best-selling predecessor the Duet, Duet 2 gives you the same kind of all-access integration that blurs the line between your interface and your Apple software, now with handy USB connectivity! This sleek little box gives you two pristine inputs and outputs that both sport the kind of sound quality that the very mention of the Apogee name conjures up in the minds of audio engineers everywhere.

BindingApple Computers
BrandApogee
EAN0805676300986
FeatureUSB 2.0 Mac audio interface2 analog inputs; Combination Line/Mic/Instrument4 analog outputsBalanced line outputs, +20 dBu maximum output level1 Independent 1/4" stereo headphone output2 Microphone preamps with up to 75dB of gainA/D and D/A conversion at 24-bit/192kHzTop panel high resolution OLED displayMulti-function controller knobTwo assignable top panel touch pads:Mute speakers, headphones or all outputsAssign headphones to outputs 1-2, 3-4 or low latency mixerDim speakers, headphones or all
LabelApogee