Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › ampsandsound SE 84 › Reviews › joespride's Review

Single End Bliss, for headphones

A Review On: ampsandsound SE 84

ampsandsound SE 84

Rated # 46 in Desktop Amps
Quality
joespride

Pros: Musical, Balanced tone, Build quality, Customer Service

Cons: NONE

First i want to say you wont find better customer service, Justin actually cares about his product and his customers. He just wants to build quality products that keep his customers happy

The amp is built like a tank, when you open the considerable packing and finally do get to handle the amp it is immediately obvious how well built this amp is, Very solid.

Aesthetics are nice as well, No gold this and silver that to increase the price, Just very nice attention to detail and quality craftsmanship, with quality components for a handsome, solid small

foot print amp, that would look great on your desk or in your rack

I don't typically get into the review process, I don't know the terms used. I know what sounds good with over 25 years in the hobby, I just never got into all the hype, and lingo. I love music !!!!!!!

Sound: If your a fan of single ended amps (and I am)  then you will like what this amp has to offer, It gives you all the good attributes  without the syrupy warmness. The SE-84 still leans a bit warm as tubes should but its not over done. Detail retrieval is as good as it gets IMHO, I am loving my music collection all over again. The balance between lows mids and highs Is very good with no one thing sticking out

above the rest. I often see reviews where one singles out treble etc... as bright, or harsh and so on,  Upon listening to this amp my first thoughts were WOW this thing is musical, toes tapping, air guitar strumming, head bobbing.............Looking like a 50 year old fool, I don't care I was in the zone.:L3000: With more time I began to notice the finer points. I Heard new details in old favorites, the cymbals just seemed to shimmer through decay (no sizzle), note would hang in the air longer, voices were more life like with wonderful bredth, Bass was deep and defined with decent impact.

This amp has found a permanent home in my headphone rig, and with a quality build I feel I could pass it down to my son. Hopefully a long time from now :beerchug:

A pic with the tubes a glowing, and look at that beautiful wood work:o

Here is a link to Justin Webers ampsandsound  Se-84

I forgot to mention this amp is dead silent, headphones nothing playing and volume at max and nothing  ITS QUIET
Is ampsandsound an established brand? That amp looks beautiful and well-made; I'm surprised that I haven't heard about it before.
Ok the short answer is they are not a household name yet but i posed your question to the owner and i have copied and pasted his remarks.  By the way under 1 hour for a response hows that for customer service !!!!!!!!

"Re: the question... thanks for replying. Ive been building amps utilizing the exact same parts for about 2 years... The difference is the top plates and wood work. Be fore I had drilled every chassis which is much much more time consuming and less percise. Since July, I secured my name... before I was Smucksandmench audio... which was pretty funny, but most didnt get the joke and I sold locally. Good thing soo many live near Los Angelees :-). Once I got some nudging and support ampsandsound came into being. Development of the site takes time and I have yet to build an ad and use google Adwords, but am very close. Right now Im averaging 2 amp sales a mo and building 3-4 a mo to prep for a demand and not to get cuaght off guard.

Though I dont have a formal warranty policy, Ive only had to make 1 repair before... it was a rebuilt Dyanco ST35 which lost its cathode resistor... Considering he got 2 years out of it before it was pretty good. Since the repair, no issues. Im total open to repairing my amps if the need arises. If in 1st 6mo Id pay the shiping both ways. In general tubes dying is more expected  :-).  "