Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › ALO Audio The Pan Am › ALO Audio The Pan Am Reviews

ALO Audio The Pan Am Reviews

NZheadcase

Pan Am vs Lyr Impressions (For Chgm)

This review was done at the request of fellow newbie Head-Fier Chgm.   Finally, after a long burn-in period and long listening sessions with both amps, I'm ready to give my impressions. This is specifically to test out the Schiit Lyr and the Alo Pan Am with the LCD 2 Rev.2. and songs that CHGM specifically requested (plus a few of my own additions as well).   Let’s start with the LCD 2 first. When I first put it on the first thing that popped into my head (as with most people) was “what a dark sound!”, and I do mean dark to the point where I took them off and scratched my head thinking, “did I just pay $1000K for these?”   However, remembering...
JoeDoe

Desktop Tube Stack That Knows What's Up!

Pros: Size, Construction, Power, Versatility

Cons: Discontinued, So-so DAC

So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole stack - Pan Am, Passport, and Gateway. Haven't done much comparison between the two power supplies yet.   As for the sound, the presentation is not glaringly tilted towards the bright or dark end of the spectrum. In a word: neutral. Now of course the tubes you pick can change that, but it's nice to know that with a conservative tube like the Yugo 6HM5 or RTC, you're starting pretty close to neutral.   I think that DAC implementation is equal to the ODAC. Very capable and revealing...
FatmanSize48

Tiny box, big sound

Pros: Size, portability, tube rolling, value

Cons: Machining for the tube slots a bit uneven

I'll post more impressions later