Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Portable Amps › ALO Audio The National › ALO Audio The National Reviews

ALO Audio The National Reviews

The Fed

The National - High Fashion, but High Fidelity?

Pros: Aesthetics & Build, Price, The Continental

Cons: Low Frequency Distortion, grainy, some electronic hash in complex passages

I bought both of the ALO Continental/ National family members around June/ July of 2012 when the second wave of V2 Continentals hit the market. I got the bug bad at the time and was worried it was going to sell out... I was worried that I was going to miss my chance to own a collectors piece.... A portable tube amp... a one of the kind piece of kit.... Yeah I had gotten bitten by some consumer dementia and was quickly losing site of reality.   The Marantz 8b is a collectors piece... a McIntosh 275 is a collectors piece, a Levinson #33 or a Dynaco Stereo 70 is a collectors piece.... The Continental.... eh not quite.   However despite having become a bit unhinged from...
pieman3141

ALO Audio National: Whoa!

Pros: Powerful, dynamic, and full

Cons: Biit pricey, big, and sometimes fuzzy

I just got a pair of AKG K712s, so I needed an amp. It came down to choosing between ALO Audio's The National, and the International which were both being sold by the Headphone Bar in Vancouver. The owner lets people try out ALL of his products, so I spent a good hour playing around (and trying out some tube amps as well). And he had a pair of K712s in his store, so I used his instead.   Basically, I picked the National because I didn't really need a DAC, it sounded similar to the International, and it was $250 cheaper. Yes, I double-amped everything because I was lazy and didn't bother wanting to fiddle with a DAC.   So, onto the review!   Note: Yeah, I'm...