Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Line › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Line Reviews

Brooko

Expansive yet engaging - AKG Q701

Pros: Well balanced, open, clear, expansive sounding, stylish and well built. Fast and reasonably well detailed. Great value for money (street value)

Cons: Headband comfort (bumps), lacks some bass impact (slight), imaging can be a little too left/right (lacks some center image clarity)

From AKG's website - they describe the Q701 as:   Quote: Sparkling harmonics, incredibly low distortion and unequalled realism in the lower frequencies – it’s the huge, airy, three-dimensional sound available only in the finest high-end speaker systems and microphones. Now, we've engineered it into the most accurate and responsive reference headphones we've ever produced, the Q 701s. Hear music exactly as the artist intended in true surrounding sound.   Let's see if they match the 'marketing' .......   Pre-amble (about me) I'm a 46 year old music lover.  I don't say audiophile - just love my music. ...
Quadpatch

AKG Q701 - Nice sound, just not directly from... well anything!

Pros: Great Detail & Clarity, Expansive Sound Stage, Neutral, Light but Strong build, Generally Comfortable (with lots of hair or a hat)

Cons: Uncomfortable headband, Poor Without High Quality Equipment, Annoying Creaking Noises, Lack of Bass, Treble not well controlled

Just wrote a review for these here: http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/akg-q701-review.html      PRESENTATION The Q701 is AKGs top circumaural headphone model - an open back, reference headphone endorsed by Quincy Jones. The box design and materials are rather uninspiring for a flagship model, there's not much more I can say about that so lets get it open..        DESIGN Once passed the flimsy container things get more interesting. The coloured parts are plastic (white in this case) but they look pretty solid and nicely designed. The headband is metal, covered in leather with an embossed "Quincy Jones"...
FritzS

Q701 - a new AKG flagship

Pros: other colors, detachable cable

Cons: connector only 3 pins

20. October 2010 I can not wait and all notes and "warnings" to spite, I made a sound check with no burning-in. After about 1 hour a very detailed sound, more detail than the K701 - but I've known from the test of the K702 and has no significance - it will show whether the stops. Music: Marianne Faithfull - Blazing Away Pink Floyd - Final Cut Phil sings Maria Ola Magnell - Malvina   Short cross-check for K501 (which I bought used) - very musical and relaxed - but a bit less detailed. Appendix: Philips CD650 modified / amplifier WNA MKII   01. Nov. 2010 The Q701 is currently in the "Burning-in" - let running continuously...
tdockweiler

Sounds good

Pros: Nearly everything, CHEAP!, Build Quality

Cons: Slightly lacking very low bass. Don't really care.

Mids are nice and full sounding. Not thin or lean at all. If they are it's due to a poor amp match or supposed to be that way in the recording (yeah really). I've even gotten good results with an O2, E9 and Micro Amp. Not much else yet. They sound natural to me. To me this headphone really excels with female vocals. They're very slightly forward sounding. I would say the low mids are more neutral. They're not as forward as those of the Anniversary and I like that. With some recordings the Q701 can sound nearly as warm and full sounding as my HD-650 (try Buena Vista Social Club). You can also have the Q701 change into an AD700 with some tinny/harsh recordings.   Treble is not harsh...
GL1TCH3D

Goods headphones for home use

Pros: Good soundstage, clarity, removable cable

Cons: Sterile sound, costly in various countries, bumps on headband

I owned these for a couple months before upgrading to the HD800. While using them, I used them with the ODAC+O2 combo as well as the Fiio e17. There's no doubt these are supposed to be headphones for home use. They're very open, leak sound and are just generally very large. From reviews, these are really supposed to be the stepping stone to the hd800 since they're meant to be very accurate like the HD800. I can agree with that statement. Design: The bumps on the headband are just plain stupid. Otherwise they're designed well, they fit well on my slightly large head. Comfort: I have a tender spot on the top of my head that loses circulation if something presses down. When I lose...
demontux

AMAZING Headphones!!

Pros: detailed, very musical!, fun, great bass (punchy and accurate) amazing feel and sound signature, very good sound stage

Cons: big, the adjustment tends to "stuck", dust magnet.

amazing headphones, with amazing sound! not cheap but this is as good as it gets! can work great on the iphone, AMP tends to make the bass more full and rich, but you can run then unamp (not reaching the full potential) overall really amazing headphones, makes you cry when you listen to tunes. really really details and make the listening and music experience something you have never felt before in my country it was expenssive, but in US its very cheap over amazon ! you cant go wrong 1!!
biggbenn74

Simply Amazing. At a Loss For Words.

Pros: Near Perfect Sound, Stylish, Comfortable, Excellent Soundstage, You Can Hear Everything, Tremendous Value For Money.

Cons: Lacks Bass, Not Portable At All, Big Amp is Always Required, Sound Leaks EVERYWHERE.,

I bought these headphones as my first step up into the "Audiophile" territory. From the first minute I put these on, my eyes were opened. Sounds I had never heard before in songs just came alive. Clear, crisp sound all throughout these headphones just makes music a joy to listen to. Here is my full review.   Value: 9 out of 10. The sound that the Q701's produce can easily compete against headphones 2, even 3 times their price. The fact that I snagged myself a pair for under $250 US is incredible. AKG definitely priced these headphones perfectly.   Audio Quality: A perfect 10 out of 10. The lows, mids and highs all come together in an orchestra of perfection. Good music...
psjdy88

fantastic headphone Akg k701

Pros: Comfortable , Crisp Trebble ,Outstanding Female Vocal , Stylish

Cons: lacked bass impact

`I really love this headphone. both design and sound are so great!!!!!!  q701 is best sound that i have been heard but you will need a good amp and dac I used md11 dac + Grahamslee solo amp and i satisfied with my system