Smooth and punchy portable

AKG Q460 Mini On Ear Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Line

Rated # 120 in On-Ear
Loquah
Posted · 2523 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: Great bass, good comfort, easy to listen to

Cons: Mids are a little harsh on certain vocals

There is no doubt that the Q460s are way ahead of alternatives like Beats by Dr Dre, but they are similar in that they don't suit all music types. They're great for Hip-Hop / Rap, Electronica, mellow Jazz and some Rock, but they don't fare quite as well on more acoustic genres.

The upper end of the mids get a little bit pushy on certain vocal tracks and the treble is a bit understated which can lead to a lack of detail and sparkle. On the other hand, the smooth sound means it's very easy to listen to for long periods at any volume (unless it's so loud it hurts).

The carrying case is brilliant and compact and the 2 cords give you plenty of tangle-free options, by keeping cable length to a minimum.

The sound signature won't be for everyone, but they do what they do very well so check them out if you're into a more mellow, rich and lush sound.

1 Comment:

I wouldn't be so generous with these. I picked up a pair recently because I need something portable. I am looking to replace them. Starting with practicalities, yes, you get two cables but one won't even reach from the DAC connected to my laptop up to the headset when I'm sitting down. I have no idea what AKG was thinking. The other cable is a bit longer and has an Apple-only remote. I don't like remotes on quality headphones because, frankly, they ruin sound quality. Remotes inevitably introduce static and other unwanted sounds. What's worse is that the cables use a proprietary connector, so if one breaks (like because it's too short?), you'll have to fork out for short cables from AKG.
The sound quality is quite poor for a $200 set of headphones. I would not call the bass great, I'd call it obnoxious. I love hip hop (I love all music) but these completely ruin it. There's more to hip hop than bass, but that's all I hear. Erykah Badu's "The Healer" for example has a great bass line and melody, not to mention Badu's honeyed voice, all muted beneath the bassy grumblings from these 'phones. Really a disappointment.