Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AKG K712 Pro › Reviews › achelgeson's Review

Overall Awesome headphones!

A Review On: AKG K712 Pro

AKG K712 Pro

achelgeson
Posted · 1891 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: Good balance throughout frequency, not sibilant, balanced, great for casual listening

Cons: Upfront sound, slight peak around 2khz sometimes annoying

This is going to be a short review, just letting you know in advance.

I listen to mostly contemporary pop, classic rock, as well as a little classical. In my search for a good headphone to use for all around listening, I stumbled across these, and I must say I'm quite impressed!

For me, the bass is absolutely perfect. Of all the headphone I've heard, these have the best quality bass I've heard. It's not just the quantity, but the control that really sets these apart. It even extends down below 20 khz, barely audible but you can feel it!

Aside from the improved bass performance, it's overall very balanced, but I like to nitpick so I must comment on just one flaw these phones have. In the lower treble, the 2kz has a peak that sounds somewhat unnatural in some recordings. It doesn't bother me that much, but sometimes it makes poorly mastered recordings sound strident and compressed, therefore less "airy" sound. I just EQ it down by 2 decibels, and it sounds almost perfect.

The treble not sibilant at all, and it's very detailed yet not fatiguing to listen to. I've read that some people think there's not enough mids, but that's only an illusion created by that 2 khz peak, it has very good mids.

Overall, very solid headphones for the price, other competing headphone such as the Beyerdynamic DT 880 and Sennheiser HD 600 will have a tough time beating it.

1 Comment:

I feel pretty much the same about my akg 701s they sound kind of like your description of the k712 . I suppose there is a family resemblance in the way they sound .
  But recently I have upgraded the headphone cable on my audeze lcd 2 v2 headphone and it has astronomically catapulted my opinion of them to a new level . The sound with their stock leash was definitely limiting the performance of the lcd2 . With the cable pro reverie cable it is now light years and I mean light years ahead of the k701 . But that took a headphone cable that costs almost 640 usd to attain that performance . Which is more than the price of the akg 701 .My opinion of the akg 701 is still very high especially for a mid priced headphone. it is definitely an overachiever.