Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AKG K701 Studio Headphones › Reviews › Audiopro's Review

fantastic pleasure at a bargain price

A Review On: AKG K701 Studio Headphones

AKG K701 Studio Headphones

Audiopro
Posted · 191 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: Dynamics, fun, comfort, definition

Cons: nothing at this price

I have owned a few headphones including Sennheiser HD 600 and Grado SR80i.

I simply sold the Grado when I heard the AKG701, not because the Grado is bad, but simply because of the level of fun and excitement the AKG gives me when I listen to classical. At this price it simply unexpected.

The bass is not too present by more than enough for any experienced hifi enthusiast who likes classical and Jazz (maybe not rap  or other boomy music)

I will not write many lines about the bandwidth, midrange etc which is absolutely perfect. The most important things for a headphone is how much fun it brings you and its capability to virtually disappear from your head.

Its comfort is top. The dynamics bring the music to a level of live and excitement I never heard before from a headphone less than 1500 usd.

The cherry on top: you can have fun with it on your labtop, or even portable, which is impossible with a sennheiser HD600 due to its too high impedance.

No need to say more..try it, it’s a winner.

As for the bumps on the head, I have made a surgical operation consisting in removing one bump on the top (only to try first after localisation of the point where it was a bit painful) with a scalpel. Here is a pic:

[url=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=820395DSCN5032.jpg][img]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/820395DSCN5032.jpg[/img][/url]

Now it's really perfect, I do not feel the need to replace the band or cut the other bumps, just removing one bump allows the band to maintain on the head without feeling anymore pressure on my scalp (I have mid-long hairs)

I will soon receive a FIIO amp E5 to give it a try..

1 Comment:

"The cherry on top: you can have fun with it on your labtop, or even portable"
While true, I wouldn't say the K 701 sounds optimal out of such sources. The treble really gets tamed and the bass more defined with an added amplifier.

Also, how many bumps does your K 701 on the headband?