Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AKG K701 Studio Headphones › Reviews › szoze's Review

One of the best

A Review On: AKG K701 Studio Headphones

AKG K701 Studio Headphones

szoze

Pros: Detailed and natural sound, flat frequency response, glorious mids, nice-looking, somewhat comfortable

Cons: Need time to soften up

These are one of the best headphones I have ever heard, and I have heard a couple. I undoubtedly prefer them to Senn HD650, like them slightly more than Senn HD600 and Beyer DT880. Why? Because they have more natural sounding midrange and airier soundstage, characteristics that fit the music genres I prefer (classical and jazz). In terms of neutrality these are as good as Senn HD800. The bass is nicely extended and precise. Mind you, they need proper amplification. Don't expect them to sound great right out of an iPod. I have heard mine with MF x-can v3 and there is no synergy between the two. A better match is the cheap Pro-ject headphone amp. They sound even better if you drive them with a more powerful amp (ie Burson). I have mine coupled with a Matrix M-Stage V2 and the combination sounds really magnificent. All in all these are one of the best sounding headphones around, and one of the absolutely best values out there today.

mine were good too! till i tripped over the cord and now right channel is out. where can i get them fixed? thanks!
@drblue
You can ask AKG about getting a recabling done (assuming the cable is the problem).

AKG k701 are really wonderfully sounding headphones at a ridiculously low price. I bought these after owning Senn HD650 and all I can say is that I felt like musicians on my records came out of the closet where they were hding for a very long time. Everything became so much clearer and more musical.