Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Noise-Canceling › AKG K490 NC

AKG K490 NC

Pros: Good sound and comfort

Cons: Fatal Design Flaw

I got these phones as a gift, and I am quite happy with the sound quality and comfort. The noise cancelling is also quite good, and can completely eliminate certain frequencies of extraneous noise. Fun playing with the on/off switch to appreciate the difference! I listen to a wide variety of rock and old school 60s jazz, and the phones are quite good for this kind of music. Pad pressure on the ears is about perfect for me, and the pads themselves are comfortable.

But there's one killer here- the post that attaches the earpiece to the band can easily snap off, and there's no way to fix them. Mine broke, and when I mentioned their delicacy on an Amazon review, I got several other owners chiming in with the same issue. If you nag AKG enough, they WILL replace it with a fresh set. They did it for me, and an Amazon customer thanked me for giving him the scoop.

But AKG KNOWS this product has a design flaw. So they just replace it on an ad hoc basis to anyone who complains insistently on replacement. Despite being NCs, these are FAR too delicate to travel with. So you take your chances with what is otherwise a satisfying phone.

AKG K490 NC
By:

AKG's K 490 NC ultra-compact folding headphones pack a surprising sonic punch — delivering your music with warmth, clarity, and deep, rich bass. But what you won't hear is the din of a noisy environment around you. That's because these featherweights feature AKG's highly effective noise-canceling circuitry. Their soft, on-ear cushions and padded headband provide comfort for extended listening sessions, and give you blissful peace and quiet while you travel.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Noise-Canceling › AKG K490 NC