Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Noise-Canceling › AKG K271 MKII Headphones › AKG K271 MKII Headphones Reviews

AKG K271 MKII Headphones Reviews

cs098

A great niche headphone, just not for me.

Pros: Deep, tight fast bass, classic akg mids, clear highs, detailed, comfortable, great soundstage for a closed, retro design, plenty of accesories

Cons: Bass anemic, doesn't play well with bass boosters and/or loud volumes, not very exciting, needs an amp to even get bass at all

I wanted to love these, and I kinda did, but only for classical and jazz.  Everything else though was boring to listen to and can sometimes get a bit bright. Also still has that closed sound, but then again it's a closed can. I know I know, it's more for tracking rather than for entertainment. But there are still some stuff to love about the sound. If you only listen to jazz and classical and need isolation, these are pretty good and do deserve the praise some people give it. But if you want something more well rounded, then you should look elsewhere, like I have.
zappp

The Reasonable Choice

Pros: neutral, comfortable, closed, cheaply replaceable cables and earpads

Cons: bulky, non-folding, slightly bass shy

When visiting recording studios in Europe or looking at the sales ranking of Germany's largest online store for musicians, the AKG 271 appears as the most popular studio headphone, well ahead of any competition. That isn't head-fi's major target group, but one should reconsider why and what for we use headphones. We want to listen to music in compromised environments, i.e. with neighbours behind thin walls or even with other people present in the same room, commuting or travelling with restricted luggage. Many of us spend more time listening to music under these conditions than at home in their designated listening room with multi-kilo-buck source gear and loudspeakers.  ...