Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AKG K240 'Sextett' › AKG K240 'Sextett' Reviews

AKG K240 'Sextett' Reviews

RUMAY408

Unique vintage

Pros: Unique soundstage and imaging, outstanding mids, lightweight and portable, inexpensive at this point in time

Cons: Requires an above average amp, elastic bands need replacement or mods as do older ear cushions

I've owned these headphones since I was a teenager.  After all these years the headphone still sounds great.  Made originally in Austria in the mid to late 70's these headphones have had several variations:  early, mid and late.  My sextet is the LP version.    Do not judge the quality of these  headphone by the sound out of a normal headphone jack, unless it is a well powered vintage receiver headphone jack.  At 600 ohms they need power.  In comparison they are more difficult to drive than my Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.  The T1 is more efficient with a similar 600 ohms.  I am currently driving these with a combo...
palindrom

Old but truly amazing

Pros: Soundstage, details, quite neutral sound but not totally analytic, you don't want to take them of.

Cons: Not produced anymore, some elements need to be replaced due to aging.

Those are AKG K-240 Sextett cardan from mid prod. I bought them on ebay for ridiculous price. If you want to go for Sextetts, keep in mind that elastic bands, inner sponge and ear pads are likely to be replaced. K-240's (MKII) are in production so it shouldn't be a problem though. As for me, pads are a bit too flat, which combined with a bit bulky plastic grilles makes them little uncomfortable. I used thicker ear pads and now it's all fine. Original cord is good enough, head band seems to be indestructible. Materials and construction are great. Environmental insulation is rather low (semi-open design) so if you want all the details, listen to the music in silence.   How they...
fraseyboy

Manage to be better than the sum of their parts

Pros: Detail, placement, mids, musicality

Cons: Treble/bass extension, small soundstage

I purchased these to serve as a dual-purpose music listening and audio production headphone. I am driving them out of my Little Dot MKII and Beresford TC-7510. They've also been recabled by Fitz with his black clover cable.   Highs: The highs are my least favorite thing. They don't extend that far and lack presence, although they are by no means bad. They're reasonable detailed.   Mids: Beauitiful! They're beautiful and rich and luscious. Female vocals especially sound good. They also seem to exist in their own space, seperated from the rest of the music. It's lovely.   Lows: I have the bass heavy LP version and the lows are kinda average. The extension is...